Solo diver missing Port Phillip Bay - Victoria

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

He would not have been able to lift 30 kg of abalone even with the best BCD (considering tank, weights etc).
That's 132 pounds out of the water, but even in water - those big snails would be pretty negative. Got to wonder what he was thinking, and why he didn't release enough that he could get up?

He was experienced enough that I doubt the Abalone was the issue. Our age group , we are only a stroke or heart attack away from the grave.
Cheers

That's 132 pounds out of the water, but even in water - those big snails would be pretty negative. Got to wonder what he was thinking, and why he didn't release enough that he could get up?

They didn't seem to be too negative to keep him from swimming them around. I doubt that it was the last one he threw in the bag that did him in. And, I just can't see a diver with his reported experience not being prepared to get this big catch out of the water (lift bag maybe), he had to know before he splashed how heavy his stash was going to be. This seems more like a medical event occurred and the abalone were just along for the ride...

30kg = 66 lbs, more or less. Which is still a significant load to manage, to be sure.
Ooops, typo in the calculations I guess? :blush: I should have noticed.. Thanks.

Bad karma? He was poaching when it happened so the Gods of the Sea must have punished him... ;-)
Well, accepting the poaching allegations as correct, a diver intent on criminal actions while on the dive would be more likely to go alone, not likely to dive where help may be available, even not likely to ask for help if they could. These points may not have much to do with his loss as he seems to have been qualified for the dive, as well as unable to call for help.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/la...kg-abalone-stash/story-fnat79vb-1226642769813

An experienced diver found drowned near the Brighton Baths on Monday was carrying a huge illegal stash of abalone.

Andrew Houston, 51, was only about 50m off the Middle Brighton shore when he was found lying face-down in full scuba diving equipment including a wetsuit, weight-belt, air compressor, tank and mask about 12.30pm following a major police search.

No wonder! Those are heavy.

All joking aside, I can't get too upset when someone dies poaching.

flots

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom