Solo Death Criticism

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rx7diver

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
I've been monitoring a current thread in the Accidents Forum, about what seems to be a solo cave diver's unfortunate death in a Florida cave. I am struck by the volume of criticism being directed at the (evidently) lost and deceased diver because he (evidently) wasn't full cave certified, though he (evidently) was attempting an extremely advanced cave dive.

Two things stand out: First, too many people--even fellow divers who should know better--seem to believe that the only way to acquire the knowledge and skills necessary to pursue as safely as possible the various types of scuba diving we are drawn to, is to take formal specialized classes and receive specialized certification cards. And, second, if any one of us should die while solo diving, our survivors will no doubt hear repeatedly from so-called "experts" about how he/she violated the "cardinal rule" about always diving with a buddy, and how he/she was diving beyond his/her level of training (because he/she was solo diving and there's no real formal training for solo diving), and how irresponsible he/she was for doing this, etc. Don't know how we might set the record straight once we're dead, however. Just a thought ...

Safe Diving,

Ronald

The diver in question did not take the classes.....how did it work out for him? Care to rethink your statement?

As for diving solo and dying......yes the experts will come out. But they will come out even if your buddy is next to you. Welcome to the internet.

First, too many people--even fellow divers who should know better--seem to believe that the only way to acquire the knowledge and skills necessary to pursue as safely as possible the various types of scuba diving we are drawn to, is to take formal specialized classes and receive specialized certification cards.

I've been monitoring a current thread in the Accidents Forum, about what seems to be a solo cave diver's unfortunate death in a Florida cave. I am struck by the volume of criticism being directed at the (evidently) lost and deceased diver because he (evidently) wasn't full cave certified, though he (evidently) was attempting an extremely advanced cave dive.

Not sure I'd refer to that as "unfortunate" ... a more appropriate term might be "suicide".

In a cave, what you don't know can kill you rather easily ... it's just not the place for self-instruction ... particularly not solo.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Two things stand out: First, too many people--even fellow divers who should know better--seem to believe that the only way to acquire the knowledge and skills necessary to pursue as safely as possible the various types of scuba diving we are drawn to, is to take formal specialized classes and receive specialized certification cards. And, second, if any one of us should die while solo diving, our survivors will no doubt hear repeatedly from so-called "experts" about how he/she violated the "cardinal rule" about always diving with a buddy, and how he/she was diving beyond his/her level of training (because he/she was solo diving and there's no real formal training for solo diving), and how irresponsible he/she was for doing this, etc. Don't know how we might set the record straight once we're dead, however. Just a thought ...

One thing that was pointed out in that thread is that by not learning through a formalized process you aren't stressed during skills and critiqued and graded on your performance.

Do you really think someone who learns to cave dive by experience does a 200' swim, with no lights, following a line communicating with a buddy? Do you think they practice following the line with no mask on? How about conducting a lost line or buddy search?

If they do it, how do they know if they're doing it well, especially if they practice it solo.

There is a reason why there are classes and a formalized process for learning advanced skills. Yeah, the pioneers of the sport learned it on their own, through trial, error and above all caution. Some of them still died, and it's because of this we learned the rules of accident analysis and how to do it safely.

Solo diving didn't kill this guy, but a buddy saying "this is a baddddd idea" might have saved his life. He died because he violated at least 2 rules and when the SHTF, he didn't have the training to fall back on.

So is training the only way to acquire knowledge? No. But for this level of diving it remains one of the best ways to gain an understanding of what you don't know.

I'm not sure that the criticism is that he was diving solo so much as he's diving in a cave without proper training.

The principles of solo diving are easily picked up without much formal instruction. It's all about redundancy, and is largely common sense.

Penetration diving (and I stress that I am worse than a mere novice in that arena) is, to the little I know about it, about much more than information easily gleaned on one's own from reading a few web page.

to do something like cave diving without proper training is moronic.

To do without proper training AND solo is...natural selection at work.

I'm sorry for the loss to the persons family..but c'mon. Its one thing to go say night diving without proper and formal training..but cave diving??? uh uh

I'm all for solo. Totally prefer it in nearly every circumstance. But I certainly know better than to do penetration wreck dives even though I have the wreck specialty. Its called common sense.

I'm not sure that the criticism is that he was diving solo so much as he's diving in a cave without proper training.

I'm fairly sure that his death had nothing to do with solo diving. It had everything to do with putting himself into a situation he was in no way prepared to deal with.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

to do something like cave diving without proper training is moronic.

To do without proper training AND solo is...natural selection at work.

... and to choose to do it in a deep cave with a restriction so severe that some of the most experienced cavers in the area can't get to his body should win him an award ... :shakehead:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

If you're using this diver as an example of the right thing to do, training by experience, just look at the outcome. I won't go into details about how he entered the gated area but you can find it on another cave diving forum on the internet pretty easily.
This kid was all confidence, not enough training and experience. 30 year old dive con, couldn't afford or didn't want to pay for the 5-6 extra classes he needed to safely make that dive. And he did safely dive there the time before. But then, he screwed up or something went wrong. Not a matter of solo. It's a matter of narced and totally outside his level of training.

Two things stand out: First, too many people--even fellow divers who should know better--seem to believe that the only way to acquire the knowledge and skills necessary to pursue as safely as possible the various types of scuba diving we are drawn to, is to take formal specialized classes and receive specialized certification cards.
Ronald

Yes you are correct, specially cavers believe you need formal instruction. Not sure why you say they "should know better" most of the present divers (OW and everything) learned with the XYZ agency in a formal class.

I would say the cavers are wrong and who cares what they think anyways... However at least in the US most of the caves are either in private land or in parks maintained by some government entity. Because of that, if too many people die in the caves, the access will be restricted, because is just a pain to deal with bodies floating around ... and don't even go to the recovery subject. So after learning that their access to the activity they like is jeopardize by mostly "non traditional taught" divers I have to agree with them... Don't mess with their caves if you are not gonna play by their rules.

And, second, if any one of us should die while solo diving, our survivors will no doubt hear repeatedly from so-called "experts" about how he/she violated the "cardinal rule" about always diving with a buddy, and how he/she was diving beyond his/her level of training (because he/she was solo diving and there's no real formal training for solo diving), and how irresponsible he/she was for doing this, etc. Don't know how we might set the record straight once we're dead, however. Just a thought ...

Ronald

I solo dive... so does my husband. Relatives know it. Some of them don't like it, some don't care, and a few understand. Regardless of their stance on my diving, the last thing that worries me is what would they read in an internet forum. Setting the record straight? what, that I die diving solo? like I care if my relatives can't figure out what goes on an internet forum.
oh yeah... and believe or not there is "real formal solo diving" I think it is a joke but who cares what I think.

I don't understand your point. Do you want people to figure out by themselves how to cave dive?
I think you should have the freedom to do that, but make sure you find your private cave and make arrangements for no recovery if the SHTF.

Do you want people here (this forum or any other) to not criticize every possible detail about an event? Seriously? that is like wanting to stop the planet from turning.

Back
Top Bottom