Solo Cave Diving: Equipment Configuration

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was getting excited reading this thread until I read your point 4). In Bermuda all caves have a thick layer of thousands year old silt on the bottom (almost no flow).
You have bare hands, at least you can feel a piece of #21 line.

Up here you can't really feel the line in drygloves. (see polish mine accident thread for consequences of extremely low vis touch contact exits in very cold water)

Always an interesting topic... I solo cave from time to time and I'm SM. I share the same thought as @lostsheep regarding failures. I typically will stick to "easy" caves, no restrictions, no jumps, but because of where I am 40M is a common depth.

I go with three tanks just because, all the usual redundant gear, and I stage tanks which I may or may not use for deco. For me the three tanks, 3 regs, while more work just feels better.

If you were trapped in a major restriction while using backmount, you may not be able to shut down any valve. Maybe, while using backmount, and before you enter a major restriction, you could shutdown the isolation valve. Reopen when clear of restriction. I know of one diver who uses ID.

If you were trapped in a major restriction while using backmount, you may not be able to shut down any valve. Maybe, while using backmount, and before you enter a major restriction, you could shutdown the isolation valve. Reopen when clear of restriction. I know of one diver who uses ID.
Curious as to how many major cave restrictions you’ve negotiated?

4) usually fairly old locals and set in their ways. Indy doubles have never been a recommended cave diving option with a buddy, so nobody specifically sets aside tanks this way to use for the occasional after work solo dive either.
I agree with the above statement.

I did negotiate the Liberty wreck. It was my first major restriction. I've also been through a tight squeeze through another wreck. I'm not certain anyone has an answer to my question. Now, to add to the above scenario, your wing has self-inflated while trapped and the primary regulator has free-flowed. I asked this similar question to another diver and he was unable to answer.

My cat is in charge of pest control.

I agree with the above statement.

I did negotiate the Liberty wreck. It was my first major restriction. I've also been through a tight squeeze through another wreck. I'm not certain anyone has an answer to my question. Now, to add to the above scenario, your wing has self-inflated while trapped and the primary regulator has free-flowed. I asked this similar question to another diver and he was unable to answer.

My cat is in charge of pest control.
I have never been in any situation where I couldn’t reach my face. If I can reach my face, I can reach the back of my head. Guess what’s right there? Valves.

What about the right valve? Can you reach the valve and shut it down during a free-flow while trapped momentarily in a major restriction because you got caught on the line or your wing self-inflated? Hence, my reason for whether it should be appropriate to shutdown the isolation manifold if you're entering a major restriction.

I was reading an article by Steve Bogaerts, and he said: anyone who hasn't had an incident while diving is either a liar or just hasn't dived enough. This isn't verbatim.

@PfcAJ, I can totally imagine a situation where I could reach my face but not the back of my head. I would not be able to shut down the free-flowing right post, and I would not be able to vent my wing. In said situation, I also would not be able to fend off the invading space-aliens who were causing all these problems. To be clear, I am not a cave diver, and I have not encountered this particular situation. So I'm going to leave the recommendations to the experts on this particular issue. :wink:

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom