Solo at La Jolla

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Frontpointer1000

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I’ll be in San Diego next week for a conference. I was thinking about taking my gear and punching in a few times and La Jolla Cove. I’ve been diving a handful of times and love the area. What’s the status on solo diving in that area?

I can't answer your question about solo diving in La Jolla Cove, but I can state -- without any doubt whatsoever -- that you should shuffle your feet whilst in the surf zone. Stingrays abound there, and I've got nerve damage in my right foot to prove it.

Be safe, have a good time.

I can't answer your question about solo diving in La Jolla Cove, but I can state -- without any doubt whatsoever -- that you should shuffle your feet whilst in the surf zone. Stingrays abound there, and I've got nerve damage in my right foot to prove it.

Be safe, have a good time.

You’re not the first person to tell me this! Glad you are ok, I remain warned!

As an update:
I did two solo dives today at the Cove. Life guard was there for the first and saw me set up for the second (night dive) as he was leaving. Never mentioned a thing.

Frontpointer - I was diving the cove from 2009-2011 a lot while I was down there with the Navy - about half the time, once I was happy with my experience in the area, I was solo. The cove is a superb dive and the lifeguard tower overlooks the dive area - so there is a small amount of extra safety there.

I'm guessing you went - curious how it was.

I've done a lot of diving at the shores as well (that's where the rays are)

Frontpointer - I was diving the cove from 2009-2011 a lot while I was down there with the Navy - about half the time, once I was happy with my experience in the area, I was solo. The cove is a superb dive and the lifeguard tower overlooks the dive area - so there is a small amount of extra safety there.

I'm guessing you went - curious how it was.

I've done a lot of diving at the shores as well (that's where the rays are)

yes I dove at the cove and at the shores. I mostly only had time to dive at night, which was still very fun and very enjoyable, there were a few dives where the waves were pretty stout and the whole diving was quite sporty. One night visibility was about 1 foot, but the whole experience was good for me. I saw one nudibranch, Which absolutely made the dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom