Solid State O2 Sensor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

From Poseidon's website "The new SSS is digital so it needs the CPOD and will not function with the 3rd Cell Holder. The CPOD is also capable of reading old-style galvanic cells."

So it looks like the new sensor would fit where the galvanic ones do, you just need to have a digital out.

The issue with drop-in replacement is that while the current physical form factor will fit, the new cell itself is not a direct replacement without other components (in this case a power source and a DAC). Without those other components, it will not function with systems designed to monitor analog galvanic cells. The question is whether or not they will be able to come up with a design that retains the current physical form factor, but also includes all necessary components within that form factor to make them backward compatible with current systems on the market.

Right now both sensors fit the same round hole. But right now the round peg (new sensor) doesn't have enough stuff. They question is will the be able to add all of the stuff required to make the round peg (new sensor) work, without turning it into a square peg.

Personally, a small rechargeable battery and some DAC circuitry would be worth the investment in my mind, and then you could corner the oxygen sensor market. Trying to force the rebreather market into buying your computer, pod, and sensor just to take advantage of the technology isn't going to work. We know how galvanic O2 sensors fail and build checks into our operating procedures to combat those failures. Even at $300 a year to rotate cells in a 3-cell system, you're looking at probably 5 years minimum before the cost breaks even having to buy the computer, pod, and cell. And that's being pretty conservative. However, if they can maintain the form factor, add backwards compatibility, divers would be pleased to buy just the new cells, you could even sell them 3 so it maintains voting logic on the off chance you have an actual cell failure.

The SSS is made to work with the Poseidon 7 when the SSS comes out. We all hope that Poseidon will license their technology with other manufactures (we hear they might) so that they develop and incorporate SSS to work with most of the other units and dive computers on the market in the future. Some of the talks and meeting & discussions I have been to talk about SSS in some pre existing units on the market Example: (2) or (3) Galvanic oxygen sensors and adding (1) SSS sensor. As they say... Time will tell.

Best regards,
Chett

Well you can add the whole thing to almost any unit, you just replace your lung T-piece with their CPOD, use their sensor and computer. All you're doing is adding another independent system to, what is potentially, and already crowded rig. Now theoretically they could license the technology to other manufacturers that already use digital electronics, I would imagine integrating it into something like a DiveCAN system wouldn't be too hard, probably just a firmware adjustment and a power board, however there are a ton of non-digital units out there that will have to add lots of ancillary equipment at a non-trivial cost.

Ideally Poseidon will figure out a way to put everything into the same physical space. Maybe offer two models, a battery powered with a DAC, and a non-battery powered sensor reliant on the electronics, and they'll be able to get the non-powered ones into digital rebreathers, and the powered ones into analog rebreathers. They'll corner the market on sensors, everyone will be diving them, and they can say they've changed the face of rebreather safety. They probably won't sell many more Se7en's than they already do, but every rebreather diver will have a Poseidon sensor (or 3) in their rebreather.

Hi Johnny,

Sounds like you are dialed in to what's going on with the SSS and have done your homework. Couple questions to ponder and consider. When you say long T-piece, meaning units that have over the shoulder counterlungs, this would not apply to any back mounted units? Do all current units have T-piece? On the Hollis prism 2, the inhale and exhale loop hoses go into inhale and exhale counterlung, from there they go into the head unit.

Regarding the CPOD and the SSS and battery power, Are any of the current decompression computers in today's market are set up to handle this? In regards to units that already have DiveCan like the Hollis Prism 2. I know that there is space available in the head unit and a few extra external ports that are not being used.

Best regards,
Chett

Well, that's sorta what I mean when speaking about the desire that they figure out a way to get everything "on chip." You bring up the point about rebreathers without t-pieces (I did make sure to say "'almost' any unit"), and it absolutely proves my point. How do you put these sensors into a rebreather that doesn't have the ability to easily add their CPOD unit? What about rebreathers in boxes, etc?

As far as computers being able to handle it, right now I can only assume the answer is no. Since they interact in a fundamentally different way, I would imagine that some work needs to be done to allow even DiveCAN models the ability to interpret the sensor data. Sure DiveCAN operates on a digital network, but it will still need to be modified both in order to read the sensor data, as well as provide power to the sensor in the first place. There are hardware and software changes that need to take place, and it will depend on Poseidon disseminating that information to other manufacturers.

All that's needed, at least theoretically, is a power source and a DAC to get the Poseidon Solid State O2 Sensor working with "normal" units.

Sure DiveCAN operates on a digital network, but it will still need to be modified both in order to read the sensor data, as well as provide power to the sensor in the first place.
Of course, many DiveCan units like my SF2, have a Fischer cable that reads the cells directly as a back up monitor. This is either for an additional PDC or a HUD. I like the idea of these SS sensors, but I'm not ready to throw out my baby with the bathwater.

Well, that's sorta what I mean when speaking about the desire that they figure out a way to get everything "on chip." You bring up the point about rebreathers without t-pieces (I did make sure to say "'almost' any unit"), and it absolutely proves my point. How do you put these sensors into a rebreather that doesn't have the ability to easily add their CPOD unit? What about rebreathers in boxes, etc?

As far as computers being able to handle it, right now I can only assume the answer is no. Since they interact in a fundamentally different way, I would imagine that some work needs to be done to allow even DiveCAN models the ability to interpret the sensor data. Sure DiveCAN operates on a digital network, but it will still need to be modified both in order to read the sensor data, as well as provide power to the sensor in the first place. There are hardware and software changes that need to take place, and it will depend on Poseidon disseminating that information to other manufacturers.

Sounds about all right to me... The whole thing going to take time to sort out....

Best regards,
Chett

Of course, many DiveCan units like my SF2, have a Fischer cable that reads the cells directly as a back up monitor. This is either for an additional PDC or a HUD. I like the idea of these SS sensors, but I'm not ready to throw out my baby with the bathwater.

I took many pictures of the SF2 at DEMA in 2014, posted them all on Rebreather World. Nice unit!!! like the carbon fiber. Not sure why so people are talking work of breathing, I would expect that in a heads down or up with this kind of counterlung. Unit breaths nice in a horzontal trim from what I hear. Frankly, I want to dive the unit and compare it to my rEvo ll & lll that I owned. Very cool that you can side mount the whole deal if you want to....

Best regards,
Chett

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom