Soldrin Otico for blocked ears

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi I was wondering if using soldrin otico would help clear up wax blocked ears as when I go to deep it becomes very difficult for me to equalise which becomes rather painful and the doctor at the resort i was diving at said its due to my ears having too much wax in them.
Ive been given some Soldrin Otico by my mum but before i start using it i was wondering if it will actually help?

thank you very much

I love Soldrin for outer ear infections, but it doesn't help with wax buildup. You won't have trouble clearing because of wax, wax is in the outer ear and you are clearing the middle ear to the throat via the Eustachian tube. The doctor at the resort must not understand diving. If you have plugged Eustachian tubes, you need to open the tube up with a decongestant such as Pseudoephidrine, but be very careful. You don't want the pseudoephidrine wearing off during the dive resulting in a reverse squeeze or block.

I agree with Wookie in that this medication is unlikely to improve your ability to equalize your ears. However, significant wax buildup could act like an earplug and cause an external ear squeeze. There are wax removal kits that are available over-the-counter. If the physician looked in your ears with an otoscope and saw a lot of wax, that may be worth a try.

Best regards,
DDM

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom