Sola 800 won't charge!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Because I’m a curious guy, I tried to solve the riddle - see the picture. The magnet of the switch is totally corroded even though I’m very, very tedious with my dive equipment in terms of cleaning.

Factory sealed?
Seems they forgot the magnet :wink:
And if I would have send it in - min 150$ for that (estimation of 2 shops here) what???

Attachments

• 8B0DEA81-37AE-4972-BBC3-AD81E74876AE.jpeg
    8B0DEA81-37AE-4972-BBC3-AD81E74876AE.jpeg
    55.6 KB · Views: 190
Good investigation. I had the same problem on my Paralenz camera earlier this year. The magnets need to be rinsed well after each dive. But it's hard to get rinse water down in there.

I've seen the same problem with some lights having magnetic switches, depending on how they are designed. I now take 'em apart before I ever dive them and silicone grease them and the screws well. Doesn't stop it, but it does slow it down and minimize the problem.

The interior contacts are very small and not sturdy at all. To buff them up: take little strips of black electrical tape and put in on the end of the control board to make the connection tighter. Make sure it’s not on the gold (connection).

I have an update on my personal charging issue on the Sola 800.

I am revisiting this subject, due to my old Sola 800 totally refusing to wake up this time, after retrying every step I had used previously when the light had sat unused too long.

I have struggled with it refusing to function or re-awaken for the last 4 days, and had begun a dialog with L&M.

Just a bit ago I finally (I think) have gotten somewhere.

After many, many attempts over the last 4 days to wake the Sola 800 up, yesterday I got it to suddenly go into SOS mode while plugged in, as I accidentally pulled the button back during the wake up procedure. The SOS continued, and could not be stopped, but went out as soon as I unplugged the charger.

In the meantime I have kept researching comments and suggestions on ScubaBoard and other sites, and trying everything short of disassembly.

I continued trying the 5 to 10, to even 20+ seconds of "wake the damn up!" pulsing the contacts, and then plugging it in fully, but every time after a while on the charger it would light 1 red LED and the light would come on bright. Moving the switch had no impact at all on this.

No change from this in 4 days of trying!
I discovered though that sometimes after the wake up failed, if I would try turning on the light after unplugging it, it would very briefly light up and then just as quickly go out.

I kept trying the 5 to 10 seconds wake up. No help.

Just now though when I unplugged the light after another failed wake up, when I unplugged it I pushed the button forward, and in that brief moment when it was lighted, I repeatedly tapped the light sharply against the palm of my hand, as I held the button forward while it was still lit.

Suddenly the LEDs flashed green, and the light seems to have reawakened!

The light is now telling me that the light is charging, flashing the series of green LEDs and the charger is showing red, which seems normal.

Fingers crossed. It has been showing charging now for the last half hour.

IMG_20190206_122307645.jpg

Success!

I did just a few minutes ago get a detailed response from a Light &Motion tech, with hard reset instructions, but I am going to just file them for future need as the light seems to now have both awakened and been recharged!

Update:
Success!
Light re-awaken, after 4 days of struggling
... then it took a full charge, followed by a 5+ hour burn test on low, at 200 lumens, and then just now completed a full recharge in @2 hours.

View attachment 503856

Success!

I did just a few minutes ago get a detailed response from a Light &Motion tech, with hard reset instructions, but I am going to just file them for future need as the light seems to now have both awakened and been recharged!
Excellent!
Could you post those hard reset instructions?

@gypsyjim

Did you do the burn test dry or put the Sola in water?

Excellent!
Could you post those hard reset instructions?

I was specifically asked by the technician from Light & Motion to NOT post the instructions online, as opening the light, (unless under their direct instructions, and only then when every other option has been tried unsuccessfully) will void any warranty.

The L&M tec was extremely responsive and helpful, and they explained that they much prefer that they be involved in resolving such an issue, before endorsing that last step.

@gypsyjim

Did you do the burn test dry or put the Sola in water?

Wet. I had the light here in the shop beside me all day, in a pitcher of water, so I could time it.
The light can definitely be damaged if it is operated for long dry.

Back
Top Bottom