Sola 800 won't charge!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rob1967

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I picked up a Sola 800 photo light about 6 months go, and was loving it, until today, when I noticed it won't charge. The green light on the charger comes on, but nothing on the light to indicate charging. The light still works, it still has some charge left over from yesterday's dive, but that won't last long.

Has anybody else had this problem? Any easy solution? I've tried blowing compressed air in the contact holes, they look maybe a bit dirty. I could maybe try using a little metal brush in there. Or, just take it back to the dealer, but then probably they will send it back to the manufacturer, blah, blah, blah, then no light for a while...

There are a couple of options to try. The first is to briefly touch the charger prongs to the light (like half a second) and repeat this a few times. The second is to plug the charger into the light and then try to power on the light. This last one works for me on a 500 model. If neither works, then you might have to visit Monterey.
Bill

When my 600 does that, I clean the contact with contact cleaner and a light twist of crocus cloth. Then I do the plug/unplug thing, sometimes it takes seven or eight times. If it still doesn't work, I plug the charger not quite all the way into the light and slide the contacts in and out a few times, just a couple of millimeters, sometimes with a rocking motion. One time after I really ran the light down by having it switch itself on in my camera bag, I did all that and then when it still wasn't charging I left it plugged in. Ten minutes later I came back and it was flashing sequential red. One of the contacts gets very oxidized from charging with any salt water presence at all, and I've had to clean my charger contacts as well. All in all, not the best charging set up. The switch drives me nuts as well. When I'm twisting it to lock it off, sometimes it turns on, usually red. If it rubs on the bag while carrying it, it can twist itself unlocked and turn itself on.
You might try a little dielectric grease on the charging ports to keep the corrosion down.

I had the same problem with mine,contact Sola and speak to one of their Tech people ,he walked me through opening the unit and what to do.It was a simple fix.

Same thing happened to me, but resolved with repeated plug and unplug the charger in the light.

Last edited:
I was told to gently tap the unit on a table while plugging in the charger, so far this has worked, I cringe when I do it, but it hasn't hurt anything, key word I would say is "gently".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom