Sola 1200 photo vs dive/video model

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

E-diver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Howdy folks,

I'm going to pull the trigger on a Sola 1200. My original justification to myself for this indulgence is that it can pull triple duty primary dive light, video light and focus light. Since the original reason for the purchase is a focus light I'm leaning towards the photo version since it includes the red LED option as well as a 1200L white flood for video.

Me real question here is with respect to the dive light vs the photo option. I noticed the dive/video light works as either a spot light or a flood (no red LED) and the photo version is flood only (red/white LED).

Has anyone tried the 1200 photo as a primary dive light, when not lugging the camera. My local diving is quite murky and a spot is attractive for this, but I feel like the red LED is the way to go as a focus light.

They're both the same price and I'm waffling. Any experience with either option would be appreciated.

-Erin

The red light is useful for skittish creatures hence it is provided as an option for the photo light.
Flood is not generally good for a dive light where a stop light is more appropriate.
The video and dive light are the same with the exception of the mount
So if you need a spot light you need to choose the video a red light can be obtained with a filter however there is no way to make a flood light produce a spot

Hope this helps I am at the same decision and I have decided for the video light as for me the option of spot light is more important

The spot light is useful when the light is used as dive light so you have a torch like beam with 20-25 degrees width
This means you can have it on your rig as a dive light or spot light and when you find something to shoot you revert to flood which is what you use for video

Howdy folks,

I'm going to pull the trigger on a Sola 1200. My original justification to myself for this indulgence is that it can pull triple duty primary dive light, video light and focus light. Since the original reason for the purchase is a focus light I'm leaning towards the photo version since it includes the red LED option as well as a 1200L white flood for video.

Me real question here is with respect to the dive light vs the photo option. I noticed the dive/video light works as either a spot light or a flood (no red LED) and the photo version is flood only (red/white LED).

Has anyone tried the 1200 photo as a primary dive light, when not lugging the camera. My local diving is quite murky and a spot is attractive for this, but I feel like the red LED is the way to go as a focus light.

They're both the same price and I'm waffling. Any experience with either option would be appreciated.

-Erin

I have the Sola 1200 light and comment as follows:

1. I rarely use the red light as I've found it tinges the photos. If I can work out a way around this it may be useful for flightly creatures.

2. I've used it as a dive light at night is relatively low visibility - say 2-3 m -and found it very good. It is much brighter than my other 230 lumen dive light. It may not have the penetration of the dive light but I've never found that to be an issue? If given a choice I'd use the Sola light over my dive light.

3. I went with the Sola 1200 because it gives low level lighting for low exposure shots.

4. I've had the light for an estimated 4 months for 40 dives up to around 30 m and have had no problems. It is very compact, robust, easy to use and the distribution of lighting is excellent. I can typically get a couple of dives out of the light when used as focus and or video light. I can get a 1 hour dive night dive with it if I'm careful to conserve power.

So basically as I said if you need something that also works as a dive light you need to buy the Sola 1200 Dive light or Video edition
As spot with 500 lumens is pretty good and compares to a Green Force, as flood at 1200 is good for macro
For wide angle at close range you need two of those

For the red tinge on the photo that is true but you can white balance...

If you shoot at around 100th-125th of a sec you won't see the red tinge. I would use it at a lower illumination for a focus light as well.

Jack

I have a Sola 600 that I use as a focus light and dive light. My two disappointments with it are that it is flood only-I dive in green water and the flood causes a huge backscatter issue when the vis blows badly, kind of like using the brights in your car on a foggy day-and the battery life on higher powers limits me to one dive with the light full time. I've solved that with lower settings when I don't need the extra power. I seldom use the red, and it's a PITA when it goes red instead of turning off when I try to twist that silly switch to the lock position. I'd go for the one with the spotlight option and the heck with the red light.

Back
Top Bottom