Sogod Bay - without Whale Sharks..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I disagree with the Purple One... I think Larry's opinion is skewed by his fond memories of the The Point Bar in PG and the discos in Sabang... I think there is a lot of great diving in Sogod even without the whale sharks. Given that you're in HK, I presume you've probably been to PG a number of times. I think Sogod is a nice alternative.

hi Neil. i see you found scubaboard.

my trip to Sogod Bay and stay at SBSR was a disappointment. mainly because i was there to dive with the whalesharks and didnt. Larry, that was almost exactly what phil said to me word for word. turns out they go looking for the whalesharks only if there is a big group that wants to go there. twice a week at most he says while peter's go there almost daily.
but, yes there's a but, i have to grudgingly admit that the dives there were among the best i've had. lots of nudis and cool critters i saw for the first time underwater. i have to qualify that most of my dives were in the philippines only. whalesharks would have capped that tripped very nicely.
oh, before I forget, we hated their food. maybe because they are not used to pinoys there and the food are seasoned differently. there were less than 10 entrees and a bit too bland for me. after a dive, i want my sinigang and grilled liempo or pork chops with toyo or patis with calamansi!

i have to add that the service of the boat crew and DM Pedro were excellent and more than made up for Phil's "that's how i do things and that how it will be" demeanor.
Pedro even tried to return to me the tip i gave him. saying it was too much. (it wasnt. its the usual rate we give DMs in PG or elsewhere) talk about unspoiled! both the local people and and reefs.

pakman:
I disagree with the Purple One... I think Larry's opinion is skewed by his fond memories of the The Point Bar in PG and the discos in Sabang... I think there is a lot of great diving in Sogod even without the whale sharks. Given that you're in HK, I presume you've probably been to PG a number of times. I think Sogod is a nice alternative.

YMMV, as I said. :)

Never said it wasn't good, but was it better? Not in my book. Also not so easy to get there (said I was lazy).

I need to get back to The Point...

F UNit:
Cheers for that Larry - at the end of the day I think I'm gonna be pleased with the trip from the sounds of things - the diving sounds good (not GREAT - but whatever) - it'll be just nice to chill and hangout and get some sun and san migs down me...

It is good, and I'm sure you'll enjoy it. PI diving is fantastic, and SBSR's location is great for just chillin':14:

There are great diving spots around Padre Brugos : I can't forget Napantao on the other side of the bay, the best omho. Diving around the island is also nice, or muck diving near Padre Burgos.
Gunther told me the best time to see whale sharks was in march, we came in february and we saw 3 of them. Why not in April ?
Unfortunatly those bloody fishes have no proper calendar ! So you never know...

My first trip to Southern Leyte was in September, 2005 (way off of Whale Shark season) and the visibility was fantastic. Much better than when I went back in March, 2006. Less plankton in the water means fewer / no Whale Sharks, but the rest of the diving was that much better because of it.

Thanks for all the replies everyone - I'm off in 4 weeks and can't wait!! - Will post a report when I return

Uhmmmm the whalesharks are there pretty much at the same time as the ones in donsol..which is to say from dec to May. The chances of spotting them are better by the river mouth north of liloan channel. Been there in dec and in april and saw them both times...or maybe I'm just a whaleshark magnet.har har

Hi!
I went to Padre Burgos in May2001 and April 2004, I did not see any whaleshark there.
The second time though, I had some great diving with Peter's at Napantao, great wall, turtle, eagly ray and good night dives, one at the pier. Good macro, pygmy seahorse etc.. One of the best places in the Philippines for me even without whalesharks.
Cheers,
Liberty

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom