Sogod Bay / Leyte in July?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Concerning typhoons, is that area more or less similar to Cebu? I mean the timing of the typhoons

concerning typhoons - yes. if you mean monsoons, also more or less yes, although the amihan in particular (northeast monsoon) seems significantly stronger, considering the open ocean just to the east. southern leyte is generally a little cooler (such as it is), and a little wetter. dry season also seems to arrive a little later, but as a rule if cebu is affected so is southern leyte, both being the same latitude and only a stone's throw away.

as to nightlife - very nearly "wala". there is the moose and squirrel, aka jerry and alma's, a 5 minute walk up the road. food is good, you can get a cold beer, and you will be treated well. budget in the order of 250 php per meal, a little more if there is fresh shrimp or a nice piece of fish available for the grill, plus a beer 60/70 php. you can up that with a couple appetizers or kinilaw. padre burgos (poblacion) has a couple places, frequented by locals and expats, where you can have a drink - a beer, a rum, and if you are lucky maybe there is a little vodka or gin hanging around. backpacker budget. bring your own quality brown liquor if that's your interest. the closest place to get it is cebu city, or tacloban on a good day. as the trikes and jeeps don't run much after sunset, you will walk the 2 km back to peter's unless you have wheels. southern leyte divers has good food and maybe the best bar in all of leyte in a nice setting. budget for flashpacking, but without your own transport you will be walking the 4 km back. haven't had a meal at sogod bay s.r. in years, so can not comment.

if you are really desperate to see what night life is like in a provincial capital you can go on to maasin, but i'm not sure why you would want to. at about 25/30 km away you will have a long walk back, but there at least it is possible (usually) to find someone willing to throw you in a trike or chartered jeep or whatever happens to be rolling down the road and get you back. unless you absolutely got to do it, driving more than a few km at night is not highly recommended. it's a jungle out there. most people are happy with the food and camaraderie at peter's, and for good reason, and with wandering up the street a bit for a change of pace.

Thanks, I'm sure we will be happy close to Peters. Our night life on these trips is typically downloading pics, dumping the bad ones updating log books etc. Bad thing about planning this far out is it seems that the time slows down.

After the highly recommended night dive at Padre Bugos Jetty(available only couple of nights per wk). Don't forget to pick up a freshly charcoal roasted chicken and liempo(pork belly) on the way back to the resort.

Thanks, I'm sure we will be happy close to Peters. Our night life on these trips is typically downloading pics, dumping the bad ones updating log books etc. Bad thing about planning this far out is it seems that the time slows down.

Hahaha yeah same here

Based on the info and reviews here, I am planning to stay with Peters in 2 weeks. Peters said that they have a speed boat and can dive regardless of whether other divers are booked but it sounds like there will be some other divers for a few days that I'm there. Saw pics of the speedboat on facebook today. I will try to take a pic of the menu while I'm there and post along with a review when I get back.

For the local experts - Tacloban airport to Peters: private van for 1 person is a little spendy but taxi to tacloban to catch a shared van to Maasin then another taxi seems like a hassle. Are there any alternatives, taxi, or shared van right from the airport? I am arriving on an early flight so I'd like to get to Peters, take a nap, and maybe make an afternoon dive.

I am planning to leave from Cebu so that I can maximize dive time on the last day and thinking of taking the night ferry out of Maasin. Flight leaves from Cebu in the early afternoon, but even the first morning ferry cuts it pretty close if there is any delay, traffic, or weather. Has anyone tried this before?

You have to decide which is more important, diving or missing flight home.
I always give myself plenty of time to prepare for the unexpected ie. weather.
If you do decide to take the shared van please remember your might have to buy another seat for your luggage. And the van will be packed to the rim! I have seen bus passing through Peter's. You really have to consult with Peter for advice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom