Software Glitches

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bfisher

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I have a ULead Studio 11.5(software) problem and just happen to be sitting here as I thought about it so asking for help. Two problems for now:

Sometimes when I press my "BURN" button to render and burn a little window pops up and says "ULead is out of memory". What's this all about and how do I correct it?

Second: ULead has started crashing on me on a regular basis. Sometimes I lose any work I haven't saved and sometimes it shows up OK when I reboot. I get this message---ULead has encountered a problem and needs to close. Any work not saved may be lost----yadda, yadda, yadda. Any ideas on this? I've thought about uninstalling and reinstalling ULead. Any advice?

My brother uses that software. He loves it but has stalling and crashing problems also. Not the memory issue you have though. It is easy enough to reinstall it, worth a try. Ulead is pretty good about releasing updates to fix problems, hopefully this is one they will address. I have been very surprised at the stability of Adobe premire elements 4.0. Never a crash, yet. On Vista and XP so far it has been rock solid. Especially considering some of my video work is over an hour long, with undreds of photos, multiple tracks, multiple filters, etc. I am running a quad core with 4 gigs of ram, and 2 terabytes of storage. Maybe that helps.

OK, that helps. I was going to uninstall and reinstall, but the disc wouldn't start up and I just recently found out how to start it for installation. In the meantime I had a video to finish and didn't want to take any chances so I just dealt with it.

Now that my video is saved in it's final form and also on DVD I'm willing to try lots of stuff. I think I've run out of some effect and transitions I'd like to try so at the moment I've got a trial version of Sony Vegas 9 on the puter to play with.

Now, sounds like you're into this pretty well. I've got a fairly new Dell, Intel Quad 6600 processor, 3G of 800 DDR2, 500G hard drive. At this point it usually takes around 5 hours to render and burn a 1.5 to 2.0 gig video (half hour's worth). Is this about right? I thought the processor would be a lot faster. Or is the problem my editing program?

The long time to render is likely that the software is not designed to use all the cores. Not uncommon. But you could render the bideo, and still play WOW at the same time. My system will usually take about 2 hours per half hour to render, but I try to not run too many filters, color correction etc on mine. I also use the same transition, crossfade almost exlusively. The DVD menu also adds considerable amounts of time. The 6600 quad is a great proc for vid editing. 500 gigs tends to run out quick if you do a lot of editing. I have read that the 1.5 terabyte drives are now available. A few of those should do well!

Funny you should say about 2 hours for a 1/2 hour video. I have another puter downstairs that I started with. It's a Compaq with an AMD 2.1 gig, single core processor, 1.5gig of SLOW ram and it would take about 1.75 hours to render and burn the same video. I thought grabbing a much bigger puter would do better. Plus it only has a 160 gig hard drive that's getting filled up.

No matter, I do plan to get an external HD to store the video. Heck, the music will eat up 500 gigs pretty soon. I try not to do a whole lot of color correcting. I found this little icon called white balance on the editing program and once I hit this the world lights up. Unfortunately I can't MWB in the water. Guess there are just some things I'll have to live with. I'll just render and burn while I'm sleeping.

I just have to figure out this glitch with the crashing. Maybe an uninstall and reinstall will help. Right now I'm trying to learn Sony Vegas 9. A lot of icons for me to learn. I've only done video two time and both underwater. BIG learning process. What I have so far is pretty darned pleasing by most standards. I'm just trying to learn from the more experienced about software problems.

Thanks bunches.

Back
Top Bottom