Software for correcting barrel distortion?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
On the beach in Lauderdale by the Sea, Florida
I just picked up a new Tokina 10-17 lens. I am wondering if there is any software (hopefully free) that I can use to correct the barrel distortion? I have Photoshop Elements at home (I’m at work right now) but I don’t remember ever seeing an option for correcting barrel distortion with Elements. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Hi Oceanobsessed:

Take a look at this link: Correcting Barrel Distortion of Wide & Ultrawide Lenses - Photos-of-the-Year.com. There is a plug-in for Photoshop called PT Lens Plug In. I am not an Elements expert, but I would suspect the plug in would also work with Elements. Give it a shot.

I have almost the same rig: D70s/Subal/125 strobes. I only use the Tokina 10-17 on the lower end of the scale when I want a "fish-eye" look. It is probably easier to change lenses than adjusting photos to remove the feature.

Hope this helps,

Dan

PS: Just checked my version of PT Lens, and it will install with Elements. Current price is $15.

I just do it with the transform tool (ctrl-t) in PS.

Jeff

Where exactly (or abouts?) in PS..
I've got CS3, went to FILTER >DISTORT >LENS CORRRECTION....
and it brought up the screen, but is that where you are referring to??? have to adjust and adjust and tweak and adjust??? not seeing any Auto fix...

Tried the CTL-T just to see if that brought something up, but nada...

thanks..

fpoole--Transform is not a filter it's an editing tool. Look under Edit>Transform. (I'm using PS/CS but should be similiar). Use Transform (not Free Transform). You'll have several options (skew, perspective etc.) Note--you need to Select the image! (Select All or Ctrl A). Once you do you get the little handle things out around the border of your image that you can click and drag on to make corrections (you'll see the image change as you do it). Oh and you need to hit Enter when you are done. If you don't like what you have, hit Escape but if you don't do one or the other (Enter or Escape) you can't do anything else, you will remain in the middle of Transform mode. Auto-Fix huh? Kinda like "One size fits all..but not very well" // ww

Here are the Photoshop instructions from Yusuf at the above link:

"Photoshop has several tools to do it. You could use the Transform/perspective/skew/distort commands to carefully straighten the image. It is quite an involved process to stretch and pull and squeeze and stretch again to straighten it with Photoshop. It will take a good part of half an hour to do it manually. And when you're finished, the image would have probably degraded significantly from all those shuffling of pixels. But it can be done with Photoshop."

PT lens is much easier and offers a number of other correction tools.

Good Luck,

Dan

I know this doesnt really help anyone now, but perhaps when someone searches later....the nikon software for RAW images (capture) has a great feature for that. and it works like a charm

Ahh-sooo... got it..

Thanks much WW and Dan, appreciate it...
Heheh... always something new hidden deep inside in PS.
Appreciate the help and Stuart, will look for the Capture function...
Sigh, on to the next one eh??? ;-))

Thanks all...

Back
Top Bottom