Soft Weights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thinking totally outside of the box, but I wonder if you could make your own weights using BB's or bullets. I'm not sure if BB's are heavy enough, but a FMJ bullet is a piece of lead that's coated in either brass or copper, and would probably to the trick. Thinking of smaller sized bullets to give it pliability. However, over time the brass and/or copper would patina from exposure, but I don't know what the long term effects of this would be.

Disclaimer: As for the bullets, I am refering to just the full metal jacketed bullet all by itself and not one that is encased & ready to be fired...should anyone think I was completely out of my mind.

Thinking totally outside of the box, but I wonder if you could make your own weights using BB's or bullets. I'm not sure if BB's are heavy enough, but a FMJ bullet is a piece of lead that's coated in either brass or copper, and would probably to the trick. Thinking of smaller sized bullets to give it pliability. However, over time the brass and/or copper would patina from exposure, but I don't know what the long term effects of this would be.

Disclaimer: As for the bullets, I am refering to just the full metal jacketed bullet all by itself and not one that is encased & ready to be fired...should anyone think I was completely out of my mind.

A fully coated lead bullet sounds interesting. I didn't know they are fully coated and sealed. Also you need bullets without sharp points and check on the cost.

The BB idea I don't see as anything new. Some people fill their own pouches with shot to save money, but it does not help with the environmental issue.

Adam

I highly doubt that lead oxide is an environmental issue in the grand scheme of things...

Salt? I think you mean "rust".

Ziplock bags don't work, I've tried them. You can't get neither all on the air out or a perfect seal, so water gets in and the lead shot gets nasty after a while. Even double bagging and taping won't keep out the water. Those vacuum heat sealed food bags work I've heard, but I don't have one so haven't tried it myself.

One thing I found worked was to spray paint the lead shot. I put the shot in an old oven tray and finely sprayed it with several light coats until all of the lead is coated. It stopped the fine lead powder washing out into the tub.

I've moved away from the shot bags now back to solid weights and can't say I really miss them.

Thanks for the info on zip bags. I'm thinking of two options:

1. Ziploc Vacuum Freezer bags, that work with a suction pump.

2. the small vinyl dry bags that the Miflex hoses come in.

Adam

I highly doubt that lead oxide is an environmental issue in the grand scheme of things...

It may not be an issue as far as the ocean/lake/etc is of concern, but I prefer not to have lead dust in my house where I can be easily exposed to it.

It may not be an issue as far as the ocean/lake/etc is of concern, but I prefer not to have lead dust in my house where I can be easily exposed to it.

If that were the case then people in the professional dive industry should be dying of lead poisoning left and right :shakehead:

Don't know about you, but I've noticed some brain damage among divers.

And this thread is proof. N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom