Soft neoprene versus the Old style neoprene, is it better or not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ChangeAgent

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Soft neoprene versus the ÁÐld style neoprene, is it better or not?

It is that time again to get a new 7 millimetre wetsuit. I have mine tailor-made as I live around the corner of the factory and get lovely prices. However since a few years there is this so called soft or stretch neoprene on the market.

I have read all the advertising hype and of course as they are easier to get I and out off, and they are easier to sell, as they tend to fit quicker around strange curves people might have, any shop would tell you they are better.

However as you all know it is its insulation factor that matters deep down and I wonder if folk have personal experience with soft neoprene. I would be interested to hear how the material holds up after 50 or more dives or after flying to locations a few times, wear and tear, does it stay this playable over time, and any other insights that might be out there.

Thanks in advance.

In my experience, softer neoprene tends to have more permanent crush with deep diving.

In particular I have noted that with a soft neoprene 7mm suit, that it had a great deal of buoyancy when new, but after 10-20 dives below 100 ft, I had to start taking weight off to maintain proper buoyancy and the process continued for about 50 dives. At which point it was nto really soft neoprene any more.

In terms of warmth however I never really noted a difference before and after the pemanent crush, even at depth - but then again it occurred over several months.

Thanks DA Aquamaster, helpful indeed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom