Socorro this June

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RacerX113

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all,
Looking at doing a liveaboard with the wife(first for her 2nd for me) at the end of June(20-28) on the Belle Amie. This seems to be at the very tail end of the Socorro season. I've done some searches but not finding a ton of info. I'm wondering if this date is worth the money or would we be better off doing a live aboard in Belize or Roaton?
TIA
Doug

I usually don't book a trip at the beginning or end of a season for any diving. You run the risk of a scant amount of whatever animals you were hoping to see. IMO, liveaboard companies exaggerate the boundaries of "seasons" by a month on each end of the season. For instance, if you want to see "X" animal and the season is from November to May, the reality is the animals start trickling in in November and are almost all gone by May. Also, June is the start of hurricane season.

My second and final trip to Socorro was at the end of May 2022 into the first week of June. There was a storm system that made the crossing very rough and the diving was terrible. My first trip to Socorro was in the month of November, and it was great weather, sea conditions, and diving.

I stay out of the Caribbean these days, so I can't help with advice on a liveaboard down there.

I just got back from a trip on the Quino and it was epic in my book. Abundant mantas, sharks and dolphins, even though wind limited our dive site choices.

But it was the last trip of the season so I would say June is likely to be less rewarding and more likely to be weather impacted. But get down there at another time!

Actually the end of season offers baitballs, lots of mantas, whale sharks...lots of vibrant critters. And a bit warmer waters.

Plus we have some last minute offers on the Belle Amie and Explorer. I will post today.

Explorer June 11-21 and June 21-29
Belle Amie June 12-20 and June28-July 6

Actually the end of season offers baitballs, lots of mantas, whale sharks...lots of vibrant critters. And a bit warmer waters.

Plus we have some last minute offers on the Belle Amie and Explorer. I will post today.

Explorer June 11-21 and June 21-29
Belle Amie June 12-20 and June28-July 6
We ended up booking the Belle Amie…fingers crossed.
Any idea what the water temps are like in June? What thickness wetsuit would be appropriate?

Any idea what the water temps are like in June? What thickness wetsuit would be appropriate?
Temps in the high 70's. I'd suggest 3-5 mil wetsuit depending upon your tolerance for chill. Me, I'm a warm water wimp...!

5mm was great for me last week. I added a hooded vest on a couple of dives. I am glad I didn't go thinner.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom