Socorro - The Rest of the Story

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi all,

Good to see such healthy discussion going on but - Debbie - I have to agree with Jack. Your reports are very hard to read which is probably why some people got the wrong end of it.

I have to tell you that a very good friend read your report and tried to cancel his trip. He was devastated by your words, scared out of his life. I'm not meaning to give you a hard time, just letting you know for the next lively and well meaning chat you start!

Take care, Marie

Jack, I will work on that. Sometimes I get on a rant, kind of like Dennis Miller but without the humor. We did see some surge at Roca Partida but nothing like you describe. It was mostly if you were close to the rock and mostly shallower like the first 25 feet or so. You did have to be careful so it did not push you into the rock because there were a lot of black sea urchins. I did have a dive in Galapagos where they took a few of us into a rocky area where sea lions play. I don't know the name of the site but we called it the washing machine. The surge was really strong and bashed you up against rocks but it was wayyyyy cool.

Ifelix, hope you have a great time on the great barrier reef. We haven't been there but two of our kids were student ambassadors to Australia and they both dived there. My son especially liked the giant clams. I would encourage you to take Nitrox. You can get longer dives and I just feel better on nitrox. (more energy even when diving a lot). I also recommend rescue. You hope you will not need those skills but if you do, you will be glad you took the course. It also makes you a much better diver and more confident. Deb

Marie, sorry. I am officially telling everyone NOT to cancel their trip. It is the experience of a lifetime. It is absolutely incredible and magical, especially the Mantas. As long as you listen to the dive briefings and follow safety advice, it is very safe. I don't think that telling the truth and warning people about what they need to do to be safe there is wrong and I don't think I should be accused of "scaring" people.

I had no intention of scaring anyone but I think information is good. I wish I had known more about it before I went. I think that knowing what you need to do and what to expect makes divers safer. When I wrote it, I did not intend for it to be on scubabaord. I wrote this story to a few close friends and emailed it. My husband gets on scuba board a lot but I never have. I don't have a face book page or anything like that and have never blogged or anything before. He asked me if he could post it. At first I did think it might scare some people but my hubby said he didn't think so. He said most people on scuba board are avid divers (scuba addicts?) and are experienced and he thought it might encourage people to go there because he thought my story sounded more exciting than his trip report. Besides that, they are going to hear the exact same warnings when they get there so if it scares them now, it will scare them when they get there. I would not have let him post it if I had known it would upset people.

I am not sure what scared your friend. If it was the vortex, that can happen anywhere that water currents hit a rock or wall and I have only ever heard about it happening there one time. If someone who has read my post recognizes it and avoids an accident, that is a good thing. If that couple had been told about it ahead of time they would not have approached it and Sten would not have had to save them. I thought this was a forum for sharing information like this and I don't think I should be apologizing for telling others about this.

If it was the diver that died, I did not bring that up. Good luck finding many dive sites where no one has ever died. There aren't many freeways where no one has ever died and we keep driving. Since there is a chance that this diver got nitrox instead of air, I think it would be a good idea for divers on liveaboard to analyze their tanks even if they are diving air, if they are planning a deep dive and if the boat has nitrox aboard. If you don't know how to use the analyzer, ask the divemaster. It takes about 2 minutes to show you how.

If it was the sharks that scared him/her, most divers know that it would be extremely rare for sharks to bother divers. I have never heard of an adverse shark situation in that area. Whatever it was, I apologize. I will keep my mouth (fingers?) shut in the future.

p.s. (Jack- notice the paragraph breaks)

HI,

What scared him was the descriptions - and the fact that he read it quickly and only "absorbed" the negatives. I have to support him on this. We were away diving when he emailed me your link in a panic. I read it quickly as we were on a high-cost dial up connection and thought "oh, noooo" myself.

Once we were home and read it again, I could go back to him and say, hey, she has qualified much of this. But it was easy for me to read between the lines as I had done the trip too.

As you know... there is no tone of voice in an email and especially not in a Blog. But don't keep your mouth shut, you start a good debate and I for one enjoyed reading about your trip - which was very different to ours.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom