Trip Report Socorro - May, 2022 Nautilus Explorer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Blues Runner

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I recently returned from a nine day dive expedition to the Socorro Islands aboard the Nautilus Explorer. The islands are 250 miles due west into the Pacific from Cabo San Lucas Mexico. Four of the nine days are utilized for transit from Cabo San Lucas to the Revillagigedo Islands and back. The islands were formed from volcanos and rise to the surface from 5000 feet of water. The islands of Socorro sit on a oceanic current superhighway that attracts a variety of large marine creatures. We dove three of the four islands -San Benedicto, Roca Partida and Socorro.

During our dives, we encountered oceanic manta rays, dolphins, yellow fin tuna, wahoo, and five different species of sharks including Galapagos and hammer heads The encounters were memorizing. The Mantas glide through the water as if performing ballet.

We had a fun group of people on board to share this adventure with. The Explorer was a great diving platform with a great crew, wonderful/plentiful food and a well stocked bar.

The highlight of Socorro for me, was the interaction with the endangered Oceanic Manta Rays. The largest weigh two tons and have wing spans approaching 29 feet. They live up to 40 years. Unfortunately, mantas are hunted for their gill plates which are used for medicinal tonics that have no basis in science. The Manta Trust and other organizations are fighting to stop the harvesting.

"Never enough"..........

Nautilus Explorer.JPG

San Benedicto Island #2.jpg

Roca Partida #2.jpg

Manta gp13.jpg

Manta gp10.jpg

Dolphins.jpg

Hammer-2.jpg

Galapogas.jpg

whie tips resting.jpg

Manta gp9.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2566.JPG
    IMG_2566.JPG
    381.1 KB · Views: 62
Thanks for the report! @drrich2 I am pretty sure that night diving is not allowed, so at most maybe 4 dives/day?

Thanks for the report!

Here is my question for you. I consider myself a late stage beginner to intermediate diver. I have somewhere around 125 dives under my belt since 2007. Before COVID, I tended to average about one dive trip per year. My last trip was in January 2020. My most exotic trip was was to the Maldives on Blue Force One.

Looking back on my trip to the Maldives , it might have been a little bit above my skill level. Some of the high-current drift dives were iffy for me. Fortunately, I didn't know what I was getting into, and managed to see some great stuff. I didn't average very long dive times, say 35-40 minutes cuz I was sucking down a lot of air.

I am wondering the level of skill for the Socorros. I desperately would love to see the giant mantas, but want to make sure I won't be holding anyone back and will feel somewhat comfortable. Any feedback in this regard? Thanks!

I have been there I think 6 times... I once did a trip with a kid who only had 19 dives and he did great so it really just depends on how you feel about swimming in the blue. As long as you stay with your guide then its not bad. Maybe if you decide to go make sure you request a bigger tank which many boats offer to those who need them. I wouldn't call the diving drift diving. More like staying behind the pinnicle/islands where the current isn't flowing. They tell you not to go past a certain point so if you stay with the guide its pretty easy.

Thanks for the report!

Here is my question for you. I consider myself a late stage beginner to intermediate diver. I have somewhere around 125 dives under my belt since 2007. Before COVID, I tended to average about one dive trip per year. My last trip was in January 2020. My most exotic trip was was to the Maldives on Blue Force One.

Looking back on my trip to the Maldives , it might have been a little bit above my skill level. Some of the high-current drift dives were iffy for me. Fortunately, I didn't know what I was getting into, and managed to see some great stuff. I didn't average very long dive times, say 35-40 minutes cuz I was sucking down a lot of air.

I am wondering the level of skill for the Socorros. I desperately would love to see the giant mantas, but want to make sure I won't be holding anyone back and will feel somewhat comfortable. Any feedback in this regard? Thanks!

VirginiaScubaGuy,

The oceanic mantas are a sight that never leaves your mind. Truely majestic as they glide through the water. You dive from ribs/tenders in Socorro. They take you from your ship's anchorage to the dive site. If you utilize Nautilus, dive guides are in the water with the group from each tender. They will provide as much or as little support that a diver needs. I did not find the currents to be excessive. As Cali_diver said, you are always diving near one of the volcanic islands. They tend to break up the strength of the current.

You need to decide if you feel comfortable for this. If I may answer any additional questions let me know.

Regards,

David

Thanks for the report and the pics. I was on the Bell Amie in January and can't wait to return. The Nautilus experience was fantastic.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom