Socorro islands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow sounds like a mess out at Socorro at the moment. I was speaking with a booking agent and he was telling me that the Baja (Baha?) Aggressor just got busted for no permits. Apparently the last group planning to go on the boat arrived in Cabo, got to the boat and then sat onboard for 2 days at the dock before finding out they were not going to Socorro. They ended up going to La Paz for a couple days instead with the boat. Could you imagine after spending all that money and flying all the way to go see mantas and dolphins and not getting to . I'd be pissed. Someone in this thread said it is always worth paying a little more and going with the experienced guys like Solmar V or Nautilus Explorer and actually getting what you pay for. I couldn't agree more. I heard Rocia Del Mar might be having trouble too - not the right permits etc... Cheaper trip = Cheaper experience in my opinion. Anyone know anyone who booked on the Aggressor or Rocio and get screwed?

Yes, it's true, Baja Aggressor does not have permits to be at the Socorro Islands at this time. I'm not sure they will be able to get them at this stage of the game. Permits can only be applied for from April to September. I am the owner of Rocio Del Mar and we were able to take the Aggressors first trip out for them. The guests were great. We had a wonderful time. Great weather, lots of mantas, sharks and the dolphin came for a visit at 100 feet. It was truly fantastic. We were not able to help them for their second trip since we had a trip already scheduled.
We have all our permits in order and have had absolutely no problems with our trips to the Socorro Islands.
Rocio Del Mar is having an amazing season. The boat is new to the area, but the crew is very experienced. Our captain and dive masters have worked these islands for years.
This destination is fabulous!!!! Come and experience the friendliest mantas on earth.

rocio and socorro.jpg

Hi Deputy Dan,

We have had a few with dry suits. I wear a 5mm without a hood and have been very comfortable.
The coldest water we have seen so far is 75 degrees.
I guess with the adrenaline of being with giant mantas and sharks helps keep you warm.
Are you going any time soon? You are going to love it!!.
Fun! Fun! Fun!

Not in the near future but its on my "before I get too list"

DD

A high-jack....

How many folks dive dry suit at Socorro?

HI Dan. We've been operating at Socorro for many years and would guess that 5% of our guests have brought a drysuit along. It depends almost entirely on what time of year you chose to dive Socorro. Water temps in November and December are typically > 80 F and a 5 mm wetsuit is more than ample. Temps drop a fair bit at the end of December when the California current picks up and we have seen a low of 73 degrees in February. so if you are diving between January and April, my recommendation would be a 7 mm suit and a hood. That is the time of year that folks may bring a drysuit. Water temps shoot up again end of April and either a 5 mm or 7 mm will work ok. Of course, we have a hot tub on the upper deck which definitely helps take any chill off after a dive.. cheers. Mike

Wow sounds like a mess out at Socorro at the moment. I was speaking with a booking agent and he was telling me that the Baja (Baha?) Aggressor just got busted for no permits. Apparently the last group planning to go on the boat arrived in Cabo, got to the boat and then sat onboard for 2 days at the dock before finding out they were not going to Socorro. They ended up going to La Paz for a couple days instead with the boat. Could you imagine after spending all that money and flying all the way to go see mantas and dolphins and not getting to . I'd be pissed. Someone in this thread said it is always worth paying a little more and going with the experienced guys like Solmar V or Nautilus Explorer and actually getting what you pay for. I couldn't agree more. I heard Rocia Del Mar might be having trouble too - not the right permits etc... Cheaper trip = Cheaper experience in my opinion. Anyone know anyone who booked on the Aggressor or Rocio and get screwed?

Is there any other independent confirmation of this situation with the Baja Aggressor?
Maybe from someone who (unfortunately) was on board when this happened.

Hi everyone,

I can't speak for the other liveaboards, the Socorro Islands was my third trip on the Rocio Del Mar. The first two were the Sea of Cortez. This ship is beautiful, 4 stories tall, and less than 3 years old. It's the kind of ship that you can be treated like a king, or go in the galley and make your own peanut beutter and jelly sandwhich. The crew has always been there to help each diver no matter what "style" of service they request. I'd put there dive skills and service above any dive ship I've been on.
I never heard about any permit problems or any other problem on any of my trips on the Roci Del Mar. This is the only yacht I've been on that you actually dive with the owners. It's absolutely the best I've liveaboard experiance I've ever had. I have freinds who've dove both the Agrressor fleet and the Solmar V. They are reputable companies too and my freinds had a great time. If you want my recommendation, I'd tell you there's a reason I've been on the Rocio Del Mar multiple times and my wife and I are planning to go again.

From experience my vote is for the Solmar. Just look where the boats are based from because your expereience depends heavily on their experience. The Solmar is based out of Cabo San Lucas, and the Nautilus Explorer is from, uh, Canada???... On my trip I was told the Nautilus only has like 3 years experience down there for whatever thats worth.
Whoever you go with, just go. Diving was amazing. JMHO

Back
Top Bottom