Socorro islands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks DeepGreek. I will bring my 7mm & a 5mm shorty to wear over it. I find that it severly restricts the amount of water that gets to your torso. I have a full face talking mask so I always wear a hood (1-extra warth yes but 2- prevents tearing out large chunks of my hair when I tighten & loosen the mask straps.) Maybe I will look at head/neck insulating gear. Thx. Did they let you wear gloves for warmth? Thanks much to all for your input.

Recently returned from Socorro on board the Nautilus Explorer. I really enjoyed being on the boat (had previously done the Inside Passage a few years ago). Crew was fabulous, as always. Hospitality and professionalism are hallmarks of this boat. Water temp was in 78 degrees, so I used a 3mm fourth element and stayed warm at all depths. My 5-4-3 never got we and my hood never got out of the bag. At the Boiler we had mantas circling in a group of five. This went on for two days. Unbelievable.

By the way, I've never been allowed to wear gloves around the Revillagigedos, apparently its against Marine Park rules. Doesn't affect your temperature that much but sure does mean your fingers can get scratched easily once they're soft and soaked by an hour in the water!

I have been on the Solmar V and we are going back to Socorro in Mrach on the Baja Aggressor. New boat and the diving is great.
We have 2 spots open if you might be intrested.
If you are intrested in info e mail me at sitrip@comcast.net

I'll be on the Baha Aggressor in a few weeks to Socorro (woo hoo!), and I have a few questions concerns about the Aggressor Fleet. I'm not sure what my expectations should be about pre-trip communication and customer service. My previous dive trips have always had such fantastic customer service in making booking and travel arrangements, and have always provided great detailed instructions and pre-trip communications.

With the Baha Agressor, I've had to call multiple times to even get a confirmation that they cashed my check, and now the trip is only a month away and we still don't have any information about how to get to the boat, what the transortation from the airport/hotels will be, and general information about diving conditions. We finally got an envelope in the mail directing us to their website to down load the "know before you go" information and the only information there is for their Guadeloupe itinerary (which leaves from San Diego, not Cabo!).

I know this is a new itinerary for their organization, and I can understand that they are still building experience for this trip... but am I out of line to think that the high price of a live aboard should pay for better customer service?

I'm back & thx 2 all for their pre-trip tips. I went on SOLMAR V & they were tremendous!! The trip was all I could have hoped for (except for no whale sharks). I would choose SOLMAR V again. My safety was their #1 priority at all times & they made sure I felt it. On one of my last dives, the current was so strong that I missed the anchor line w/ 8oo pds of 32% nitrox. I either use the 800# trying to swim to the anchor line & prob not have enough air for my safety stop or continue to ride the current doing my SS & pop up who knew where?? I knew the panga's were out & on patrol for those that might get "lost" so I did my 3 min stop & when I surfaced, I did not see anything (high chop). I blew my air horn & again after I got my safety sausage out & ready to inflate. Before I could inflate, the panga was in sight :) !! This was the proof in the pudding. As a single, older diver, you can not ask for more.
As for the boat, it was beautiful. 21 out of a poss 22 divers, so we were full. The cabin was clean, no musty smells & shockingly small. I opened the door & flipped! Standing room was less than 3'x4', tiny closet styled toilet/shower, all in 1 stall, 9"wide closet, 1- 7" wide draw, & coffin style bunk beds. My roommate & I opted not to use the floor at the same time. I kept my carry on bag at the foot of my bed so I had a draw/storage place. The beds were fine, I did sleep OK. It is true, you spend so little time in the cabin that the bed is the most important item.
Food was very, very good & there was always food out for snacking. Hot chocholate after the first morning dive was perfect. Breakfast at 7a was eggs, omlets, pancakes, Fr. toast, rolls, cereals & beautiful platters of watermelon, cantolope, pineapple & papaya. Lunch & dinners were overly large portions of great food, fish, steak, Mex BBQ, vegs, potatoes, great deserts w/ every meal. I have no complaints with the kitchen.
The diving was unlike any diving I had ever done, which was the generic coral reefs & reef fish. We had detailed briefings of every site. The 3 divemasters were topshelf. They got to know your background, skills, needs & took care of you accordingly. Some of the divers went off on their own in groups, some of us needed the divemasters to all but hold our hands at times, but I felt that all of the crew, deck crew, panga drivers, DM's, all 10 of them were working towards everyone's safety.
I hope to do the Sea of Cortes with Solmar V.
Thx again for everyones pre-trip input.

Sounds like a wonderful trip. We are planning to mirror your trip in, probably, 2013 (can't believe it'll be that far away), and I was wondering how the water temperature was? Though I live and dive around Lake Michigan, I'm still a baby when it comes to cold water. We're looking at the last week of Jan or first week of Feb, so your water experience would be helpful. Thanks for any information.

Rob

Back
Top Bottom