Socorro end of May

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

danzn16

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Any experiences with end of May in Socorro? Picking a ten day trip to maximize dive time there but now worried May is end of season and may not be as good of time to go as mid season?

I could also go end of April to early May however all of this are 7 day trips. Thoughts?

Any experiences with end of May in Socorro? Picking a ten day trip to maximize dive time there but now worried May is end of season and may not be as good of time to go as mid season?

I could also go end of April to early May however all of this are 7 day trips. Thoughts?
Not going to be a significant difference in those dates, except the water temp will go up a bit the end of May. I just got back from a 7 day trip- the 3rd week of May. We saw pretty much everything: Schools of dolphins, schools of yellow fin tuna, lots of hammerheads, a few Tiger Sharks, a false killer whale, galapagos, white tip, silky sharks galore and of course Oceanic Mantas on nearly all dives.

Water temp was 76-77 at Roca Partida and Socorro Island, but a much cooler 71-72 at San Benedicto Island. Go with the 10 day. I believe @scubadada is on the 10 day now and will give us his report when he gets home and settled.

Not going to be a significant difference in those dates, except the water temp will go up a bit the end of May. I just got back from a 7 day trip- the 3rd week of May. We saw pretty much everything: Schools of dolphins, schools of yellow fin tuna, lots of hammerheads, a few Tiger Sharks, a false killer whale, galapagos, white tip, silky sharks galore and of course Oceanic Mantas on nearly all dives.

Water temp was 76-77 at Roca Partida and Socorro Island, but a much cooler 71-72 at San Benedicto Island. Go with the 10 day. I believe @scubadada is on the 10 day now and will give us his report when he gets home and settled.
Very nice! Glad you had a great trip. Can’t wait!

Hi @danzn16

I did a 9 day/8 night trip on the Explorer at the end of May 2019, it was an excellent trip. We did 19 dives in the 5 dive days

I will be doing an 11 day/10 night trip on the Explorer starting next Tuesday. I chose this trip quite a while ago to take advantage of the longer trip and expect to get up to 27 dives.

The longer trips are uncommon, the trip you are looking at on the Belle Amie is 1 of only 2 longer trips in 2025!

Hi @danzn16

I did a 9 day/8 night trip on the Explorer at the end of May 2019, it was an excellent trip. We did 19 dives in the 5 dive days

I will be doing an 11 day/10 night trip on the Explorer starting next Tuesday. I chose this trip quite a while ago to take advantage of the longer trip and expect to get up to 27 dives.

The longer trips are uncommon, the trip you are looking at on the Belle Amie is 1 of only 2 longer trips in 2025!
Hope you have the best trip! Can’t wait to hear how it goes!

Hope you have the best trip! Can’t wait to hear how it goes!
Currently dive day 5 of 7. Biggest surprise is the water temperature. It was 69 degrees at the Canon and the Boiler at San Benedicto. It was 74 degrees at Roca Partida. Today, it is 72 degrees at Punta Tosca at Socorro. We have 4 dives at Cabo Pearce tomorrow and then back to the Boiler to end the trip, 27 dives.

It was a mistake not to bring my full 7 mm wetsuit. My full 5 mm wetsuit and 5/3 mm hooded vest are just not enough. It's cold.

Sheeit! I’m here in Cabo getting ready to Socorro trow on the Nautilus Undersea and that is EXACTLY what I have—a 5 mil and 5/3 hooded vest. It was absolutely freezing here this morning 63-65 and I’m bummed to hear it’s pretty darn cold out there. I’m going looking for a 3 mil shorty to wear over my 5 mil as my new Fourt Element 5 mil was warmer today than the shop’s Mares 7 mil.

Oh boy.

Sheeit! I’m here in Cabo getting ready to Socorro trow on the Nautilus Undersea and that is EXACTLY what I have—a 5 mil and 5/3 hooded vest. It was absolutely freezing here this morning 63-65 and I’m bummed to hear it’s pretty darn cold out there. I’m going looking for a 3 mil shorty to wear over my 5 mil as my new Fourt Element 5 mil was warmer today than the shop’s Mares 7 mil.

Oh boy.
Maybe you are warmer than I am. As I have gotten older, I tolerate cold less well. Some extra exposure protection might serve you well. I would have done that if I had known the water temps. I was expecting warmer water.

Nope I’m just like you. Trying to score a 3 mil shorty from Dive Cabo trow. Really appreciate the heads up. Pelican Rock was freaking amazing today, multiple huge schools of fish, mult eels, several swimming free, sardines, enormous scorpion, dozen of balloons and porcupines etc etc etc.

Back
Top Bottom