Socks under wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LOL, It is only around $10 to get the sock. It is a "Well Being" time, please!
But, it is a nice try, ChrisA.

ChrisA:
I've seen people use plastic supermarket bags. Cheap and easy to get.

Stirling, so, ONLY for the warm protection, which one is better between the polypro and neoprene socks? And, the more polypro material has, the more we can get the heat protection? I find that there are two items, either 85% or 100% polypro.

Stirling:
Almost any sock will do if all you want to do is keep the neoprene from direct contact with the skin. I would stay away from cotton because it is more likely to blister, and if you take off the boots but leave the socks on between dives, your feet will be more cold in cotton than in wool or polypro (or almost any other synthetic). The best fabrics for warmth even when they are wet are wool and synthetics like polypro, and the synthetics dry out faster.

Otherwise, I think it comes down to fit - if your boots are already good and snug, go with the lightest weight fabric that will keep the neoprene off your skin - probably the polypro. Unless you're allergic to polypro, too. Bear in mind that when they get water inside them, the fit changes a little bit - what feels tight when it is dry will be a little bit looser and allow your foot to move around a little bit when it is wet.

If the boots are not as tight as you would like them to be, wear something a little heavier or a lot heavier to fill up the boot and make them snug - that is why I use the wool hiking socks that I wear. The less motion there is between your foot and the boot and the boot and the fin the better. But don't wear anything that will make the boots so tight that they restrict circulation in your feet, because that will make your feet feel cold and is undesirable for other reasons.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom