Socks under wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dacodo

New
Reaction score
I’m getting my fiancee into diving and we have a slight problem. She is allergic to neoprene and certain other kinds of foam. She is in open water cert class right now and we've got under armor to wear under her shorty wetsuit but the boots are an issue.

After about 20min or so of wearing them she starts breaking out and itching. Does anyone know of some kind of spandex socks she can where under her high top boots?

I've done some basic net searches but the only spandex socks I found were short and wouldn't come up to the top of her boots.

They acutally make "wetsuit booty socks". I've got a pair of them. But they are made to reduce water movement in the bootie and keep your foot a little warmer. So in the summertime they wouldn't work great. They are made of polypropelene/polar-tec type material, so might be a little warm for diving in warm water that a shortie will require.

I think they are scubapro, but not 100% sure. I can check it you need me to.

One other suggestion is to get some backpacker "liner" socks. These are typically nylon so they won't "weigh down" like a cotton sock will.

also check these out http://www.alibaba.com/catalog/10629592/Diving_Sock.html

-mike

"I think they are scubapro, but not 100% sure. I can check it you need me to."

If you don't mind checking, please do. She is very little and I can't imagine her complaining about extra warmth. (she never has before)

I wear plain old woolen hiking socks inside my dive boots all the time. From REI, they cost about $12. Wool keeps some insulation value even when it is wet, it makes the boot fit just a little bit better and retards the movement of water inside the boot, and the boots slide on and off very easily over the socks. Plus, the same socks can also be used for hiking and climbing.

I take it the waters not too cold if she's wearing a shorty - perhaps she could get shorter boots so they don't come above the socks - or skip the boots and get full foot fins, in some material that isn't a problem.

I have 4 pairs of these polypropylene socks that I wear under a wet suit.

They dry easily overnight hanging over the shower curtain rod, or in about 30 minutes in the tropical breeze.

All the best, James

dacodo:
I’m getting my fiancee into diving and we have a slight problem. She is allergic to neoprene and certain other kinds of foam. She is in open water cert class right now and we've got under armor to wear under her shorty wetsuit but the boots are an issue.

After about 20min or so of wearing them she starts breaking out and itching. Does anyone know of some kind of spandex socks she can where under her high top boots?

I've done some basic net searches but the only spandex socks I found were short and wouldn't come up to the top of her boots.

Kathy, at

Kathy's Scuba, Inc. 3430 North Valley Pike Harrisonburg VA 22802, Phone:
(540) 433-3337 Fax: (540) 433-3337, kscuba@rica.net

is a master instructor with 25 years diving experience. She is also allergic to neoprene. She has tried every combination and brand of suit and undergarment. Give her a call and see what she uses and would recommend.

cagemaker

fdog:
I have 4 pairs of these polypropylene socks that I wear under a wet suit.

They dry easily overnight hanging over the shower curtain rod, or in about 30 minutes in the tropical breeze.

All the best, James

Since she's diving a shorty, we can assume warm(er) water.

So I'd dive the polypropylene socks that James has above before I'd use the ScubaPro ones that I referenced. Much thinner and won't bind up in a booty. The scubapro ones are not "cut" to fit a foot like they should and you get areas where the fabric binds up. (I'll try to verify their brand this weekend for you. ) -mike

Almost any sock will do if all you want to do is keep the neoprene from direct contact with the skin. I would stay away from cotton because it is more likely to blister, and if you take off the boots but leave the socks on between dives, your feet will be more cold in cotton than in wool or polypro (or almost any other synthetic). The best fabrics for warmth even when they are wet are wool and synthetics like polypro, and the synthetics dry out faster.

Otherwise, I think it comes down to fit - if your boots are already good and snug, go with the lightest weight fabric that will keep the neoprene off your skin - probably the polypro. Unless you're allergic to polypro, too. Bear in mind that when they get water inside them, the fit changes a little bit - what feels tight when it is dry will be a little bit looser and allow your foot to move around a little bit when it is wet.

If the boots are not as tight as you would like them to be, wear something a little heavier or a lot heavier to fill up the boot and make them snug - that is why I use the wool hiking socks that I wear. The less motion there is between your foot and the boot and the boot and the fin the better. But don't wear anything that will make the boots so tight that they restrict circulation in your feet, because that will make your feet feel cold and is undesirable for other reasons.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom