socks in booties?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aujax

Reaction score
Has anyone here tried wearing some type of sock in their booties to keep their feet warm when diving in cold water? My feet get the coldest and I've got a little room to spare in there. I read another thread here a while back about it, but can't seem to find it.

In my experience, the socks just increase the water flow and add very little if any insulation. A 7mm boot is however much warmer than the 5mm boots that some people use in cold water.

If you already have 7mm boots then more insulation on your torso is a more effective solution. A 7mm suit will keep your feet warmer than a 5mm suit, and a combination vest/hood will keep you warmer if you are already in a 7mm suit.

The extra room in your boots may also be contributing to the problem. Snugger is almost always warmer as long as your toes are not cramped.

My partner and I tried these on one dive, before having to give up diving for a while. :baby: Except for the added tightness around the ankle, we both liked them. Compared to most equipment, they're not expensive - why not give them a try? But I agree - too loose a boot could be part of the problem.

Happy Diving,
Scuba-sass :)

aujax:
Has anyone here tried wearing some type of sock in their booties to keep their feet warm when diving in cold water? My feet get the coldest and I've got a little room to spare in there. I read another thread here a while back about it, but can't seem to find it.

Why don't you just try it and see if it works :confused: If it keeps your feet warm, then continue doing it. It it doesn't, then don't do it.
Sheesh.

try fleece socks

but by dive 17 in Coz recently, my feet had a number of sore spots. I wore socks under my boots so the boots wouldn't rub anymore. It worked well. My boots are a little big which normally isn't a problem, but doing 3-4 dives a day and getting over 1 hour bottom time a pop, it took a toll.

Juls

I wear socks with booties, but it has nothing to do with warmth. Socks make getting into the wetsuit and booties much easier, and getting out of the booties much easier. Socks can double the lifespan of a set of booties by reducing the catching and stretching of the bootie material during the donning process. Socks can also reduce chafing if you have that problem.
Rick

I wear 2 pair of wool socks and so far I haven't got cold feet.
lowest water temp so far was 40 degrees. As I've only this winter started diving dry.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom