Soccorro Islands?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Michael J Deely

Registered
Reaction score
Hello Friends,
I need some help. I am arriving in San Jose Del Cabo in January to dive with the Nautilus Explorer again, and staying at Los Patios Hotel for one night.

Is SJD airport just like Cozumel as far as just getting off the plane and paying for a mini bus taxi to get to your hotel without prior reservations and for a cheap fare?

Last time at SJD my pre arranged ride did not show.

Tanks, Mike

Mike

I recently did the Solmar trip out to the islands (Nov. 1 trip). In my experience the best way to do it is get a porter to handle your bags and walk you out to the airport taxi line. You can either get a collectivo or if you are in a hurry pay for a private. I don't remember the exact prices but say $20 or so per person. If you have a number of people in your group you might want to go with a private van. Using a porter helps your back if you are carrying normal diver related gear and they know the ropes-avoiding time share etc. Have fun can be a great trip.

Video from previous trips (not just one)
YouTube - Diving the Islas Revillagigedos of Mexico on the Solmar V

Augustus,

Thank you for the information, you are a big help. Last time my ride didn't show I was quoted $60.00 dollars by one guy.
I did get into a van in the parking lot but I think the guy pocketed the money.
If my ride does not show this time I will take the colllectivo.

Mike

I just took a colectivo the last time. I think the private vans run 70-80 US. Not certain since I was not in a rush. Again I find the porters can be a big help navigating through the arrival maze.

The times I've done the Solmar, before exiting the baggage claim area, I've gone to the booth and paid something like $14 for the airport shuttle (maybe what you and Augustus are calling a colectivo) that takes me to my hotel in Cabo San Lucas. They'll give you a voucher and then you hand it over to the shuttle driver. You don't need prior reservations for this - it's basically walk-up. I don't know how much it would be to a hotel in San Jose, which is of course much closer.

This is a good deal if you are travelling by yourself, with the only drawbacks being that you have to wait until they get enough passengers to pretty much fill up the van and there may be stops along the way to drop off other people first.

Otherwise, a cab has to be quite a bit more. I know that to Cabo San Lucas, it was in the $75 vicinity. Of course, if a cab is shared among several people, it can be affordable and definitely faster.

Manuel,

Thanks for the info. ............Yes this is the same way I do it in Cozumel.

I already reserved a taxi with Faro Nuevo, who are friends of the Nautilus Explorer, for $15.00. It is nice to know that there is another alternative.

Thanks again, now I don't have to worry about getting around. :wink:

Hey Mike - when are you going back? Mike and I are headed back the week between Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Sorry Mike - I just replied!

First, you will LOVE the diving in Socorro. It is fabulous!

Second, I have done the ride from the airport to Cabo both ways. But agree with the others, getting a porter to help you with your bags is critical. It can be along wait through customs, and I am sure you are like most of us with cold water diving, LOTS of heavy bags. The porter will help get your bags to the vehicle.

You can get a private car OR a group van. The group van is the cheapest, but make sure you are NOT on restricted time. It can take several hours if the van makes many stops along the way to your hotel. It is somewhere between 30 to 45 minute ride from the airport to town with no stops. The last few years, I have gone on the Solmar V boat, and have them pre-book the ride; I know they only use reliable drivers, and you can be more comfortable that your driver will in fact be there, you could ask the Explorer if they recommend someone or if they will pre-book it, that way you are assured of an exact price.

Have a GREAT time. . . wish I were going back this year.....feel free to check out my latest video, I have several Socorro videos posted on youtube. YouTube - Manta Salsa Dancing on the Solmar V in Socorro Isles This is my latest compilation.!!!

Back
Top Bottom