Soccoro Islands in Feb 2010: Solmar or Nautilus?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hallboy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
An d whatever is good to know about the diving around there. Hotel? tips for transportation, wet suits etcetct

I have only been on the Solmar (3X and hopefully 4th time in Nov 2009) and am quite satisfied with them - great crew, great food, and very comfortable dive deck. About the only minus is that the cabins are teeny.

I haven't heard any negatives on the Nautilus Explorer, but I tend to be brand loyal, so I don't expect to switch in the near future.

Solmar is docked in Cabo San Lucas. Nautilus Explorer used to be docked in San Jose de los Cabos - don't know if that is still the case.

With the Solmar, they usually depart from Cabo San Lucas at around 4:00pm. It used to be that you could fly in on the same day and arrive early enough such that you didn't have to fly in the day before and overnight in town. So far for Nov. 2009 I haven't seen any flights that get me in from Boston earlier than 1:30pm, so to play it safe, I usually overnight in town.

From the airport, I usually take the shuttle vans into Cabo San Lucas. They used to cost about $12-$15 and will drop you off at the hotel of your choice. Their only drawbacks are that you have to wait until the van is filled, and also that they make multiple stops to drop others off along the way, so as long as you are in no hurry, this is the most frugal way of doing it.

You will be mobbed by all kinds of people offering you transportation as you come out of baggage claim - if the shuttle van is what you want, be firm about it and don't let them divert you to some other choice.

Otherwise, a cab used to cost around $75.

As far as overnight accommodations, Solmar used to recommend the Solmar Suites and that is where everyone is supposed to rendezvous for pickup to be taken to the boat. I usually stay at a more frugal spot on downtown CSL called Mar de Cortes for about $60-70 a night.

I've been to Socorros in January and February. The water temp has been low to mid 70's, so I went with a 5mm full suit plus a 2mm hooded vest.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

I also have been on the Solmar various trips and tend to also be brand loyal. Once they finally put in Nitrox that sealed the deal. I have not seen anything negative about either operation though the Solmar crew has been doing this much longer than the Nautalus. On one note looking over the Solmar for the upcoming season 2009-2010 they are nearly 100% booked while the Nautilus still has space. So if you opt for the Solmar you might want to book soon.
time of year for the trip i like the first trips since the water is warmer (80-77) and you often see whale sharks. Flip on that is the later months have the whales.

My best of vidio from the Solmar. YouTube - Diving the Islas Revillagigedos of Mexico on the Solmar V

from my logs:
first week of Dec. 79 degrees
Nov. 81-80
Feb. 73-75
From talking to the dive masters on board they see whale sharks during the early trips (nov and maybe dec) not sure of towards the end of the dive season they also see them. I have seen them on a couple of the Nov trips.

I went to Socorro with the Sea Escape. Everything was ok, we enjoyed the trip. A lot of helpful hands, well organized, good meals, international guests (us, spanish, german , british) - the only thing I missed was a little bit more ambiance - it could have been a little bit more cozy.
We stayed in November, water had 76-78 degrees, for the evenings a little bit warmer clothing was recommendable. 18 guests on bord, 2 zodiacs for diving, 3-4 dives a day, I would do it again.

If you want to stay a few days at Baja California, ask me for informations - we made a one-week trip by car and enjoyed it so much!!!

I was there Dec 27-Jan 4 with the Nautilus Explorer. The ship was well run, and the dive operation was as well. I went the cheap route and stayed in the dorm, so my "cabin" was pretty basic. they have nice cabins on the upper deck though ... i just wanted a place to sleep. I would recommend them to anyone without hesitation. The crew is great about anticipating your needs, and taking good care of you. I'd go back if I could come up with some extra cash.
the diving is great. we saw lots of mantas, just as advertized. shark encounters were kind of hit or miss, but silver tips, hammerheads, and white tips were there. same with dolphins.
the dive conditions were not bad. we didn't go to "the boiler" though, which i understand can be a bit dicey. there was plenty of action at the other spots so we didn't feel the need to try it.
overall it was a good experience and i would do it again.

My husband and I are booked on the Nautilus Explorer Socorro trip THIS MONTH!

We have sailed with them twice before (BC and Alaska) We met many return customers on our previous trips. We have stayed in a stateroom - nice - and the executive suite (for the Alaska dive trip) much more spacious and with the fabulous views of the inside passage was money well spent.

Great, safe, well hosted, terrific food, excellent knowledgeable staff, comfortable quarters, Captain Mike absolutely ensures high quality = my favorite dive trips so far - well actually Fiji was incredible too

Very much looking forward to Socorro. I'll let you know how it goes
:D

My husband and I are booked on the Nautilus Explorer Socorro trip THIS MONTH!

We have sailed with them twice before (BC and Alaska) We met many return customers on our previous trips. We have stayed in a stateroom - nice - and the executive suite (for the Alaska dive trip) much more spacious and with the fabulous views of the inside passage was money well spent.

Great, safe, well hosted, terrific food, excellent knowledgeable staff, comfortable quarters, Captain Mike absolutely ensures high quality = my favorite dive trips so far - well actually Fiji was incredible too

Very much looking forward to Socorro. I'll let you know how it goes
:D

Hello,

Check out the Oceanic islands of the Mexican Pacific dive report.

Very soon I will be sending some more updates with more information from this season in the Revillagigedos (including Socorro of course).

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom