Soak first stage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

By that logic, it would leak out if pressurized then no?

It's a static captured O Ring.

_R
Are we talking about the same thing? I am talking about the LP port swivel/turret.

I have been told that the D1 swivel could leak if unpressurized.

As I learned in the HOG reg service class, the D1 turret is designed to seal when pressurized. This is why it may not be a good choice for stage bottles, we were informed. Nevertheless, one would think that the pressure in a tub of water is negligible, and it would be surprising if the D1 were not designed to withstand soaking in a tub like any other regulator.

Any o-ring could leak. That is why we do leak checks, vacuum and pressure. A properly designed and functioning o-ring seal does not leak.
And properly used...

I can see how a seal designed to be used pressurized could leak when unpressurized.

And properly used...

I can see how a seal designed to be used pressurized could leak when unpressurized.

I have seen a BP turret that had more movement that normal and it would leak, pressure and I am sure vacuum, if you torqued one of the hoses. Turned out it was missing the plastic spacer that controls that slop. If tolerances are not tight enough, I can see where such a leak could occur. But I do not believe it is an inherent design flaw of a turreted 2st stage.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom