Soak first stage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Although I agree with you Matt IIRC this test does not work with HOG 1st stages, can't remember if it's specific to one model or all though. I don't know the mechanics or design that create this "anomaly". I'll try to find the thread.

I always soak my regs for a couple hours and then hang dry. IMO, spraying isn't going to do much good. The end goal is keep salt from crystalizing in the crevices.

But just my opinion.

I've been rinsing then soaking mine overnight for over 10 years and have never had a problem. My "dust" caps have always kept out water, Apeks, AL and SP.

After I get home from salt water dives I put the regs back on a tank. Pressurize and soak for a bit. No worries. Plus while they lay in the water it is a good chance to do a careful leak test. Over the years have found a couple of minor leaks that way.

Although I agree with you Matt IIRC this test does not work with HOG 1st stages, can't remember if it's specific to one model or all though. I don't know the mechanics or design that create this "anomaly". I'll try to find the thread.

Can't say for anything but the D1, but as long as the Oring seals with something solid (non water permeable), it'll work just fine.

I can't see why the D2 and D3 couldn't either, as you are diving them in water with just an Oring between the water and your gas source ...

_R

I have been told that the D1 swivel could leak if unpressurized.

By that logic, it would leak out if pressurized then no?

It's a static captured O Ring.

_R

My friend has a D3 you can indeed draw air unpressurized. I checked on this, although can't find the thread, and was advised by HOG (IIRC) that this was normal and not indicative of a problem. Like I said earlier the mechanism that allows this to happen is unknown to me, I'm no expert.

I have been told that the D1 swivel could leak if unpressurized.

Any o-ring could leak. That is why we do leak checks, vacuum and pressure. A properly designed and functioning o-ring seal does not leak.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom