So, Will Shearwater offer Gas Integration

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

guyharrisonphoto

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
With the DiveCan support, Shearwater obviously has the capability of offering AI support for individual computers. Is this on the horizon? It is a feature that would interest me greatly.

I really hope SW doesn't add air integration. Two tanks on the rebreather, three bailout gases, we're talking about spending a forture on transmitters for a bunch of generally useless information.

Please, not interested in the anti-AI debate. Like James says, no one is forced to use it. Would people actually reject Shearwater as a top computer if this feature was offered?

For those of us who would use it, and I think there are probably quite a few, I am interested in knowing that, if Shearwater has found a system for group air monitoring that matches their very high standards for reliability, if they will offer that for individual computers as well.

I think this is a natural question, and a natural development, from the Dive Can announcement. If Shearwater doesn't think it meets their market, fine, but I think there would be a much broader market for individual computer AI than there would be for the DiveCan system.

IDK, there is one guy who posts on the board that says he has the the inside scoop and has announced that there is no way Shearwater will do it. Of course I would much prefer to hear that from Shearwater.

Ahahahahaha, dam this is going to be good, hang on a sec, let me open a beer and grab the popcorn!

The answer is yes and no :)

We have no plans to add wireless air integration to our computers.

We have developed DiveCAN® air integration for the Diver6 project, but in that case the dive supervisor is on the surface and the tank pressure display if for the dive supervisor rather than the diver. That system is not aimed at sport divers.

It is possible that one of our OEM customers might want use DiveCAN® to monitor tank pressure on a rebreather system, but that would be up to the individual OEMs.

Bruce

Would people actually reject Shearwater as a top computer if this feature was offered? . . .

Maybe. If adding the requisite sensor, etc., were to make the product more expensive. Why should the rest of us bear the engineering and manufacturing, etc., costs of features we don't want?

Hey, thanks for responding, Shearwater!

Maybe you could think about it, like you did for adding your really excellent rec mode. I think there is a market if you can implement it to a level that satisfies your standards.

---------- Post added November 14th, 2014 at 02:58 PM ----------

WOW, JUST SAW THE PETREL 2

It ticks another of my boxes, an excellent integrated compass!

C'mon, just one more thing . . . . . .

Reactions: Jax
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom