So... What's up with the lack of octo perfomance ratings?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

StSomewhere

Contributor
Reaction score
Iowa, diving capital of... uh... well... uh... nev
So... What's up with the lack of octo perfomance ratings?

In my quest for *my* perfect reg/octo configuration, I'm having problems figuring out the octo part of the equation. My LDS/instructor doesn't like the whole "long hose" tech concept for me at this point, and I'm still digesting that recommendation.

Most of the other guys I see who are buying instead of renting are going with the "ambidextrous" (e.g. works upside down as well as right side up) octos like the Aeris Gyro/Oceanic 180/Aqualung ABS & LPO.

Problem is, I can't find any ANSTI WOB numbers for any of these octos. My soon-to-be first/second stage is measured at 0.79 J/l. The standard octos all "exceed CE breathing requirements for regulators", but thats on the order of 3.0 J/l!!! What a crappy reg to hand off to a dive buddy in an OOG emergency! I obviously understand that you don't want the octo to be really sensitive to the point of freeflow, but most "ambidextrous" octos don't even have venturi adjustments.

Shouldn't I just get a standard reg on a yellow hose and turn the venturi switch to (-) instead?

FWIW, I have no interest in combining my BC power inflator and backup octo in one unit like the Air 2, SS1, etc.

Let me start by saying I was originally a "give the octo away" diver. For reasons to long to go into here (one of which is cave diving) I now swear by the long hose. That being said, in an emergency the octo becomes my primary reg. For that reason I dive with two mk25-s600 scubapro's. You need to ask yourself in an ooa situation with an already uncomfortable diver do you really want an inferior reg in either divers mouth? P.S. Most of the "any position" octos tend to breath "wet"(slight water retention on exhale) some divers get real uncomfortable with that. Good luck I am sure you will get lots of other opinions, this is just mine.

stsomewhere:
Shouldn't I just get a standard reg on a yellow hose and turn the venturi switch to (-) instead?
That's pretty much what I did. I have an Apeks TX50 as my primary and an ATX40 as my backup. The TX50 has a knob which allows you to adjust the cracking pressure. You can make the same adjustment on the the ATX40 but you need an allen wrench, so I just "detuned" it a bit. Apeks is by no means unique in this regard.

stsomewhere:
Most of the other guys I see who are buying instead of renting are going with the "ambidextrous" (e.g. works upside down as well as right side up) octos like the Aeris Gyro/Oceanic 180/Aqualung ABS & LPO.

My wife has a Gyro. It's like breathing through a sponge.

Thanks all. Whatever I wind up getting I'm now convinced it won't be the ambidextrous type. All the discussions about your dive buddy having your spare air on his back, but there are all these crappy octos out there. :rolleyes:

I figure if I get a decent reg for the backup, I can always change to the long hose later for just the cost of the lp hose...

stsomewhere:
All the discussions about your dive buddy having your spare air on his back, but there are all these crappy octos out there.
I don't want to get too far of the topic but you'd be amazed how low a priority some people give to their buddy's safety. Last weekend I saw someone with an interesting setup. He had a full face mask with his back up on a short hose and a necklace. Kinda makes you wonder what he wound donate if his buddy ran out of gas. :rolleyes:

stsomewhere:
I figure if I get a decent reg for the backup, I can always change to the long hose later for just the cost of the lp hose...
No problem at all doing this. You'll probably want to swap the original primary hose to your back up and take the octo hose off. Assuming you're going to breath (and donate) the long hose, your back up would go on a short necklace around your neck. The standard length octo hose would be way too long for this.

If you are happy with what you are breathing now why not just match it up. You will know the performance rating of the thing and most regs have a venturi switch to minimize the chance of freeflow. It will also simplify your service routine by matching the manufacturer and saving a trip to another shop that does support the brand. Unless of course you are not happy with what you dive. What is it ???

mbeerski:
Whay do you guys think about the poseidon deco? Is it worth the money?

NO.

Of course that is the simple answer but this is scubaboard,so I am going to blab on. No because I could justify doing deco on a reg that is more expensive and a higher performer than my primary. Don't get me wrong I would most definetely use the Deep on my primary back gas, but on deco? No. there is simply no need. For me I would be happy with the other O2 clean combos out there that are rated performers for the depths you will be using them in (recreational).
Oceanic makes one. So does OMS. the OMS one is cheaper and I have used both and can't complain. Simple piston design gets the job done and come clean out of the box.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom