So what's up with Oceanic?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ana

Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I sent them my Data-mask for repair in July, they said it was going to take about 2 months for the repair.

It was a surprise for me, 2months? that may be acceptable for a new company with only a year or so experience trying to figure out how much inventory of parts are needed, but Oceanic has been around for a while. Don't they don't know that an average of X computers a month will require repairs and x data-mask and whatever other gear?

They gave me a line of lame excuses, what am I going to do? either wait 2 months or shelf the mask that I already got used to and fits me perfect? So I send it and went have been using my other masks.

By the end of September I heard nothing from them, I call them and get another line of excuses about some part they need that is back order, blah blah sorry sorry, blah blah, excuse, excuse, best guess.... the mask will be back by end of October.

October comes and goes and not a word from them, I call them and after a couple of minutes of more nonsense excuses and fake apologies I have to wait for the end of November.

They obviously don't care about customer service. That's too bad, but I guess there are other manufacturers .

Are you able to attend DEMA before it closes on Saturday? If so, pigeon-hole Oceanic there with your concerns.

The glass came out of my DataMask. I took it back to the shop where I bought it, they sent it in for me. It was back within 2 weeks. It wasn't just fixed, they sent a brand new one.

The glass came out of my DataMask. I took it back to the shop where I bought it, they sent it in for me. It was back within 2 weeks. It wasn't just fixed, they sent a brand new one.

Was this recently? just curious

Short after I bought it around 08, something happened to my husband's and like you, I took it to the place I bought it. Not sure how long it took but it was a reasonable time and they also fixed more than just the issue. This is why I'm surprised of their behavior now..... I've been using Oceanic so long I don't even know when I started (90's maybe sooner?) It seemed to me their gear has been of good quality and if it needed repair their service was good if not great.

Then in January this year, the display on my husband's Data-mask got corrupted showing numbers out of range. Like previously, we took it to the shop and expected the typical couple of weeks turn around... then we got a call from the shop that due to the longshoremen strike in the west coast, things were getting slower than normal, this dragged and dragged for months and months.... so long than when my mask got the same problem in July I figured there was no benefit of going through the dive shop and contacted Oceanic directly.

Early August my husband got his mask back through the dive shop, for a total of 6.5 months turn around, not something acceptable for a big company but I figure maybe that west-coast strike coincided with some other unexpected event or I don't know what... maybe our dive shop is not as efficient as it used to be, got busy and misplaced the mask instead of sending it right away.. didn't want to judge Oceanic for one bad deal after so many good experiences.

So what now? I see the same lack of service with my mask... they didn't get their system straight the first half of the year? Maybe a brand new item could take them a bit to tune their inventory, but this mask has been out for almost a decade, long enough for them to figure accurate numbers for their production or spares.

Unless they stopped giving a crap and just produce stuff to sell to new people that may or may not stick with diving , while ignoring the needs of their established customers.

What can I say.... I want my freaking smart mask back... I want to know my depth and air supply every couple of seconds, and it is annoying having to grab the stupid gauge.

That was a couple of years ago. Their service may well have gone downhill since then. I am surprised the shop can't put some pressure on the sales rep to get something going.

Was this recently? just curious

Short after I bought it around 08, something happened to my husband's and like you, I took it to the place I bought it. Not sure how long it took but it was a reasonable time and they also fixed more than just the issue. This is why I'm surprised of their behavior now..... I've been using Oceanic so long I don't even know when I started (90's maybe sooner?) It seemed to me their gear has been of good quality and if it needed repair their service was good if not great.

Then in January this year, the display on my husband's Data-mask got corrupted showing numbers out of range. Like previously, we took it to the shop and expected the typical couple of weeks turn around... then we got a call from the shop that due to the longshoremen strike in the west coast, things were getting slower than normal, this dragged and dragged for months and months.... so long than when my mask got the same problem in July I figured there was no benefit of going through the dive shop and contacted Oceanic directly.

Early August my husband got his mask back through the dive shop, for a total of 6.5 months turn around, not something acceptable for a big company but I figure maybe that west-coast strike coincided with some other unexpected event or I don't know what... maybe our dive shop is not as efficient as it used to be, got busy and misplaced the mask instead of sending it right away.. didn't want to judge Oceanic for one bad deal after so many good experiences.

So what now? I see the same lack of service with my mask... they didn't get their system straight the first half of the year? Maybe a brand new item could take them a bit to tune their inventory, but this mask has been out for almost a decade, long enough for them to figure accurate numbers for their production or spares.

Unless they stopped giving a crap and just produce stuff to sell to new people that may or may not stick with diving , while ignoring the needs of their established customers.

What can I say.... I want my freaking smart mask back... I want to know my depth and air supply every couple of seconds, and it is annoying having to grab the stupid gauge.

I sent mine in in Aug. and it only took about 2 weeks to get mine back. I did pay an extra 39.00 to have shipped 2nd day air to make a trip.

Well ... that sure makes me feel like the red headed stepchild.

Do you have proof they received it, and still have it? Starting to sound like shenanigans to me, since you have gotten several messages now indicating that others have had much shorter servicing times.

Best to start to get firmer with them regarding getting your mask back. Enough is enough.

I have 5 Oceanic PDCs. I have always been able to get someone on the phone to answer a question and twice when I inquired about ordering a small part they sent it to me at no cost. In general customer service has answered or called back the same day. Just my experience but so far I would buy another Oceanic product.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom