So what's in a regulator rebuild kit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

danpass

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Well I can't answer definitively but here is what was replaced from an Aqualung Titan (circa ~1998) setup that had likely been rebuilt a few times but this last rebuild had been sitting for a while. The intermediate pressure was in the 120s

p607887355-5.jpg

Several o-rings took a set

p1037525073-4.jpg

You can see how other items took a set as well

p893963218-4.jpg

p1020131490-4.jpg

Here is the reg. I have repurposed a Canon camera bag to use it as the regulator bag lol

p1040125480-4.jpg

p1030564384-4.jpg

p745255340-4.jpg

p974793982-4.jpg

It looks like that reg (and your lungs) saw some pretty dirty gas. If the reverse side of those LP seats are unused, the should have another life in them.

Many companies, in Europe at least, consider the diaphragm to be a re-usable item that is not an annual service part. It requires come care to remove so you don't put a hole in it, but the keep it until it needs changed is pretty valid. I suspect the reason they are annual service replacement parts in the US is due to our over abundance of attorneys and our very counter productive tort laws regarding product liability.

----

There should be both a high pressure o-ring for the high pressure seat stem in addition to a backing washer. I don't see it there.

It looks like that reg (and your lungs) saw some pretty dirty gas. If the reverse side of those LP seats are unused, the should have another life in them.
I got it off ebay and took it right to the LDS for service.

I got it off ebay and took it right to the LDS for service.
That's a smart move.

In reference to the last post, the odds are that they just lost the old backing washer for the seat stem o-ring when they removed it, as they tend to go flying sometimes then you pop them out and it's not worth the time to go looking for an old part. But it's nice to confirm they replaced it, especially on an old reg with an unknown service history.

I service my own Conshelf regulators, which have the same internal parts as the Titan, and my question is: Other than the ones for the hose fittings and the one for the removable HP orifice, where did all those O-rings come from?

The o-ring fairy?

lol, I don't know but google images has similar pics

In addition to the crown and port o-rings you mention, Aqualung also includes o-rings for things like the dust cap and a DIN fitting, which are two of the o-rings in the picture. The DIN o-ring is probably an unused new one.

Some reg models use an o-ring to back up or secure the sintered iron filter, and some Aqualung kits have extra 1/2" o-rings to cover the models made when it was a popular fad to half 1/2" low pressure hose fittings, so it's not uncommon to end up with extra o-rings not needed in a particular regulator.

Second stages will also have new o-rings for the orifice as well as to seal the inlet fitting and the plug on the other side of the case.

Aqualung (and many other manufacturers) include a card with the silhouettes, and number of o-rings along with there use on it, to aide in o-ring identification, sorting and proper use. It helps ensure the right o-ring get used and also helps verify that o-rings that are left over, are not truly needed.

In addition to the crown and port o-rings you mention, Aqualung also includes o-rings for things like the dust cap and a DIN fitting, which are two of the o-rings in the picture. The DIN o-ring is probably an unused new one.

Some reg models use an o-ring to back up or secure the sintered iron filter, and some Aqualung kits have extra 1/2" o-rings to cover the models made when it was a popular fad to half 1/2" low pressure hose fittings, so it's not uncommon to end up with extra o-rings not needed in a particular regulator.

Second stages will also have new o-rings for the orifice as well as to seal the inlet fitting and the plug on the other side of the case.

Aqualung (and many other manufacturers) include a card with the silhouettes, and number of o-rings along with there use on it, to aide in o-ring identification, sorting and proper use. It helps ensure the right o-ring get used and also helps verify that o-rings that are left over, are not truly needed.

Okay. I can buy that. For my Conshelfs, I don't buy kits, per se. My LDS used to be an Aqua-Lung dealer and he just sells me the parts I need when I need them. My Conshelf seconds are the older, all metal type with no O-rings inside other than the one on the LP orifice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom