So what is NOT covered in open water cert that should be?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd like to see OW courses teach people how to dive but I don't think its going to happen :14:

leah:
A couple of things here. I did like my instructor. Very nice guy.

What my real concern here is what is left out SDI training. Now that I have learned more, SDI seems to be a quick easy way to turn out divers. When I was looking for a cert agency the advice I got was go with an instuctor that you like--at OW they are all about the same. Well, I really did like my instructor and think he a nice guy and was nice to the class and seemed to take time with everyone.

I'm not an SDI instructor, so I can't comment on their standards, but how do you know your instructor didn't miss things? Just because he was a nice guy and was nice to the class doesn't mean he did a thorough job. Maybe he took too much time with everyone and had to skip over skills to meet the LDS's time constraints. He might have thought the LP disconnect wasn't a big deal, so let's skip it. I DMed for an instructor who started the pool sessions an hour later than scheduled so he wouldn't have to get up too early and then skip over things he felt weren't too important, like the LP disconnect. I reported him, but he's still teaching. Basically what I'm saying is don't bash SDI unless you have hard facts that what you missed is SDI's fault and not your instructor's.

Thalassamania:
If this inflator sticking problem is as much of a problem as folks here seem to think it is, I am amazed that no one has installed a small 1/4 turn ball valve, rather easy to do.

I don't know how frequent it occurs either, but my 1st dive after getting my cert had me dealing with a stuck inflator. The inflator mechanism was recalled about a month later. I was able to correct the problem by smacking the inflator with my hand, but my next action would have been to disconnect the hose.

Vayu:
I'd like to see OW courses teach people how to dive but I don't think its going to happen

Like Walter said, there are some courses that do teach people to dive. You just have to look long and hard for most of them.

@ Leah:

Thanks for starting a very informative and interesting thread. I guess the only contribution I can add to all the above is check out your instructor as best you can with experienced divers. As a new diver, you will not know what you are missing from the course until you have not only completed it, but built up some experience. I firmly believe that further training and building up one's knowledge is fundamental in becomming a better and safer diver. I have just finished a NAUI Master diver's course combined with about 6 specialities and what I know now compared to before this course is increadible. Never stop learning!
To all the instructors out there - keep them comming back to learn, not only for the sake of your business, but to make sure the divers get better at what they are doing and become safer divers.

Vayu:
I'd like to see OW courses teach people how to dive but I don't think its going to happen :14:
In the immortal words of Thomas Nashe: "O, tis a precious apothegmaticall Pedant, who will finde matter inough to dilate a whole daye of the first inuention of Fy, fa, fum."

I think I may change my signature line. :wink:

Dive-aholic:
I'm not an SDI instructor, so I can't comment on their standards, but how do you know your instructor didn't miss things? Just because he was a nice guy and was nice to the class doesn't mean he did a thorough job. Maybe he took too much

The point you make above is really why I started this thread. Not to bash my instructor or SDI. Like I said I really liked him and thought at the time he did a great job. We had a father daughter team learning to dive and the little girl just wasn't getting it. So he invited the pair over to his house for a couple of private lessons and to work with her one on one. I did hear him tell the Dad that if she could not get the mask clearing and reg recovery down that he would not and could not pass her.

However, after reading Scuba Board here for months and getting a few dives under my belt and talking with other divers, it is starting to occur to me that I might not know some really basic things that I ought to know like the stuck inflator hose. It seems from reading here that diving instruction a while back used to cover more. I am wondering two things here. What used to be taught that is no longer and then in the current teaching, what things are instuctors more likely to pass over is time starts running short?

Now as far as the dive tables go, they are up front about not thinking that it is important and that tables are the way to go. They say computers are a better safer way to dive. For my part, I will still dive with a computer, but now I want a solid understanding of tables both in my head and a copy in my pocket.

I also want to learn how to use a spool and an smb and learn more about gas management beyond the be back with 500psi

Someone suggested that before you take a class you talk to experienced divers. In my case, I knew of no one who was a diver and could not get any of my friends to learn with me. So off I went this spring on my own. Now that I know some divers and have some experience, I am starting to have lots of questions.

Leah

Maybe I should change up the question to help me answer my original question. Is someone that is an instructor regardless of agency be willing to provide a list of what should be covered in OW? :wink:

Vayu:

Vayu, Don't you think experience and life have to do that? A single class just gets you started

leah:
Maybe I should change up the question to help me answer my original question. Is someone that is an instructor regardless of agency be willing to provide a list of what should be covered in OW?
That's not really practical beyond the sort of outlined that I posted. I suggest that you start building you diving library and reading a lot. Start with a few of the classic texts like the New Science of Skin and Scuba, you can pick it up used from Amazon for pennies, do an Amazon search and get all the used scuba books that you can.

leah:
Maybe I should change up the question to help me answer my original question. Is someone that is an instructor regardless of agency be willing to provide a list of what should be covered in OW? :wink:

Just so you understand there are many different opinions on this topic. That's one reason the various agencies have standards that differ so greatly from each other.

There are several threads/posts that will give you a good handle on this topic.

Here's one I've contributed.

Here's another excellent thread on the topic.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom