So now that I have equipment...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Every tropical destination (and any dive op) will entail a slightly different set-up and variation on the way you transport your gear as well as how far you may have to schlepp it. Some places have gear storage so that you only need your traveling suitcase to deliver it to the gear lockers- just once in a week. You might want to always have a small mesh backpack to drag stuff like lights, cameras and computers back and forth to the room.

I think this is the best answer on dive bags, it really just depends on how the op works and how close you are staying to the op. Sometime we bring mesh bags and sometimes we don't depending on the op. From their website or emails back and forth we can usually figure out their drill before we leave. For short transportation of gear it's actually fairly easy to make a small 'package" of your BC, mask in fin pocket, fins lying in the BC, reg on top the fins, then snug the BC straps down around the fins and reg. If you are just carrying gear from resort room to the boat that usually works fine. We always take some kind of small bag on the boat to hold misc items. It also helps to know ahead of time what size and kind of boat you will be on.

On tropical trips we tend to use six pack ops, and usually upper end ones, that will usually store your gear overnight and often will rinse it and bring back to the boat the next day. If the boat sets up my gear I always check it over again carefully to make sure it's right and how I want it. If the resort has good snorkeling then we may only leave our BC and regs at the shop and we take our mask and fins to snorkel in the afternoon. If there is no snorkeling then the mask and fins also stay at the shop. We always take our computers so I can download them each night plus I just feel better keeping a high value and very portable item with me. We always take our wetsuits back with us each day because I like them to get a really good rinse and I want to make sure they dry out good for the next day, some shops just hang them in a wet room and they are still somewaht wet the next day.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom