So much for financial plans... I'm a Halcyon owner!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hepcat62

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Well, I was planning on getting into a BP/W setup sometime in 2010. That was until I got a really excellent deal on the new Infinity setup (with the Cinch system, 40lb wing, SS plate, and weighted STA) at Wallin's. I haven't had it in the ocean yet, but I took it in the pool tonight to make final fit adjustments in my drysuit.

...I love this thing! Even though it was an unplanned expense (for the moment at least), I definitely don't regret it after getting it in the water. In case anybody's wondering - the new cinch system works great. It feels very solid once the waist strap is buckled, but it's actually even easier to get in/out of than my Knighthawk since the shoulder straps are so easy to adjust. My trim also got a fairly instant improvement thanks to having more of my weight over my back, which is much appreciated.

You can read more about the cinch here - Cinch Quick-adjust Harness. The cinch is available as an upgrade to the standard Halcyon backplate/secure-harness, which I believe is $99. I know it seems gimmicky, but it really does seem to work as advertised - which is to say, "very well." If anybody is interested in checking it out, I know that Any Water Sports had one in stock on Friday. I'm also happy to show it to any of you if we end up in Monterey together.

Next stop - canister light...

Sounds like you are setup and super excited to get to test your new gear out in the ocean. Congrats on your purchase. Halcyon does build nice stuff and stands behind their products, from my own personal experience with them.

Canister lights are awesome and mine brings me more joy than any other piece of gear...except maybe my drysuit.

Your thread title is as apropos as it is hilarious :D

Glad you like the new gear; I definitely want to check it out sometime!

Yeah, so much for financial planning - I know the feeling:rofl3:! My gear list just keeps getting longer.

When I switched from my Woman's version of your Nighthawk to my BP/W I felt like I was incredibly liberated! You're gonna love it! I've been watching the cinch promo videos and am curious to see it in action - look forward to checking it out.

I agree with Peter, my light can is perhaps my favorite piece of equipment! I absolutely love it and really love how love easy it makes communication underwater!

Enjoy!

I thought wakeboarding was an expensive hobby, owning a really nice boat and truck. Now I realize scuba diving is right there with wakeboarding since you can still own a really nice boat and truck, PLUS all the gear. Of course flying has them beat. Airplanes are crazy expensive.

Most of my dive gear was purchased used or on sale. I traded a complete dive setup for my Zodiac, so cost to me was very little since I already had most everything. Of course the chart plotter/depth sounder was not cheap even with 20% off of a sale price. I finally after a couple hundred dives wore out my $400 DUI CF200 drysuit that came with DUI 400g thinsulate undies. Definitely got my money back out of that drysuit. I added up what I spent on my ex G/F's dive gear and it came out to over $4K. Never will get my money back out of that one...She barely even enjoys diving, and only got into it because of me.

When you think you are done buying dive gear you will find a new way to spend more money. Like doubles! You will need to get more steel tanks, along with a doubles wing, more regs, hoses, pressure gauge, bands, manifold, etc. Then you might want a stage bottle, AL40/80, reg, hoses, and a stage kit. Even just collecting tanks for those long weekends away, when no fills are available. What about photography? YIKES! :shocked2:

I thought wakeboarding was an expensive hobby, owning a really nice boat and truck. Now I realize scuba diving is right there with wakeboarding since you can still own a really nice boat and truck, PLUS all the gear. Of course flying has them beat. Airplanes are crazy expensive.

When you think you are done buying dive gear you will find a new way to spend more money. Like doubles! You will need to get more steel tanks, along with a doubles wing, more regs, hoses, pressure gauge, bands, manifold, etc. Then you might want a stage bottle, AL40/80, reg, hoses, and a stage kit. Even just collecting tanks for those long weekends away, when no fills are available. What about photography? YIKES! :shocked2:

Yeah I hear you. I thought technical rock climbing gear was expensive. I picked up most the tech climbing gear pro-deal after the passion had run it's course, I was able to sell it and pick up my base scuba gear.

But now, dreaming of doubles, just added a second reg, new cozy drysuit garmet, dreaming of that perfect drysuit, another bp/harness for doubles, more tanks, SPG, a 40lb wing, all the new classes. Don't even mention the other toys :shakehead:.

Yikes - I'm already approaching my technical climbing costs :wink:! Buying some used gear is really helping :). And it's all so worth it!! :D:D

Last edited:

Most of my dive gear was purchased used or on sale. I traded a complete dive setup for my Zodiac, so cost to me was very little since I already had most everything. Of course the chart plotter/depth sounder was not cheap even with 20% off of a sale price. I finally after a couple hundred dives wore out my $400 DUI CF200 drysuit that came with DUI 400g thinsulate undies. Definitely got my money back out of that drysuit. I added up what I spent on my ex G/F's dive gear and it came out to over $4K. Never will get my money back out of that one...She barely even enjoys diving, and only got into it because of me.

yikes i know the feeling of wakeboarding expenses. 50k boat + 50k truck good times with friends priceless. scuba diving boat (SU-18 Achilles 10k all the gear needed to actually dive safe in good gear 5-6k, having fun with friends and having your own boat to use priceless.....

sweet gear setup i will def be interested to check the cinch system out...:D

Hepcat62,

Dude, welcome to the mile high club... LOL Or should I say out of money club? All in all the Halcyon is going to do the job equal or better than before, that's a given....

I heard about the add on for existing Halcyon owners, but I never got a chance to try it out. I heard and have seen from the videos that this is a great feature if you have multiple suits....

Like if I travel to Flordia and dive my wesuit there, I can easily adjust the BP/W. Otherwise you have to adjust the entire webbing which takes time and is a pain.

Let me know how you like it in the ocean and next time we dive, I'd like to take a look at it.

Thanks,

MG

I am jonesing for a new x-scooter. I saw the video from backscatter where they strapped a camera to one. I'd like doubles too, but then I have to get a new wing etc. It never ends.

I am jonesing for a new x-scooter. I saw the video from backscatter where they strapped a camera to one. I'd like doubles too, but then I have to get a new wing etc. It never ends.

Although I do not have an X-scooter I do have a decent Mako that is tricked out and cost 1/3 as much. Of course with my doubles and stages bottles and the rest of my tanks, I can not afford to house my D300 :depressed: That is OK though as I have been focusing on improving my diving and seeing what I might otherwise be missing. More time spent observing, less time spent looking through a tiny viewfinder.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom