So many questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Conor

Reaction score
Hi all

I certified(Padi OW) last September in Crete and due to the arrival of my Daughter :) I haven't been able to dive since. I am currently planning a holiday in the Med with some friends and as one of the other people is an experienced diver I started looking forward to getting back in the water. Which has led me to arranging another diving holiday later in the year, so I have two weeks of diving to look forward to this side of christmas. I have booked myself on a Scuba review to brush up my skills.

Having started thinking about diving again I have realised that there is a lot to learn, both inside and out of the water. The following are some of my questions.

I would like to experience diving here in the UK as it would be alot more accessible, what is the likelihood that diving at this time of year could put me off ?

Someone said that I should consider doing the AOW in the UK in order to get used to diving here, is this a good idea ?

Is it wise to go straight onto the AOW after OW or would I benefit from logging more dives before?

What level of kit would you reccomend a newby like me buying at this stage ? or would you reccomend waiting until I get more experience ?

Anywhere you would reccomend for diving in November ?

Sorry to babble on, but I have been giving it a lot of thought.

Thanks in advance

Conor

I would like to experience diving here in the UK as it would be alot more accessible, what is the likelihood that diving at this time of year could put me off ?

Not sure, but here in Minnesota it's pretty good yet.

Someone said that I should consider doing the AOW in the UK in order to get used to diving here, is this a good idea ?

Yes, but read below...

Is it wise to go straight onto the AOW after OW or would I benefit from logging more dives before?

From what you've said, you haven't dove in a year. That is a very long time when you think about it. I would recommend taking a refresher course, then get some dives in, and then think about doing the AOW course.

What level of kit would you reccomend a newby like me buying at this stage ? or would you reccomend waiting until I get more experience ?

By kit I am assuming you mean your scuba gear? You don't have to get it all at once, but get as good of quality as you can afford when you do buy something. Especially when it comes to the regulator.

That's good! It means you still have an interest.

MNScuba has some good answers.

Diving in cold water is not like diving in warm water. Lower temperatures mean more thermal protection, less dexterity, lower visability and lower tolerance for errors.

If you want to dive in the UK (and many very good divers do!) - then doing an AOW will be a good stepping stone to that goal. And an added bonus is that you will appreciate the Med even more! Another bonus is that you'll meet people at your level in your neighbourhood - which is a good oppourtunity to join a club and find folks to dive with.

There are two opinions here. Some say yes and some say no. If you are comfortable, it is a good way of getting some experience under full supervision. Having said that, you will get more out of it with a few dives under your belt.

Still agree that you need the refresher tho'

Ummm - Past the Mask, Fins, Booties, and Snorkel - - None! Untill you dive in the UK, you will not know if you want to be a vacation diver or an all year round diver. The gear you should have when you dive cold will be different from that needed for warm. It is not a lack of experience at this point but more a vagueness of what type of diving you wish to do!

Anywhere you would reccomend for diving in November ?

Someplace warm!:D

Not much babble - The questions are good and it is good that you are asking!!

Thanks for the replies.

You have helped answer all my questions. I now have a plan
:)

I have got hold of a couple of books to refresh my theory etc.

A local dive club runs a Scuba review program, which I'll be doing in a couple of weeks. It will also give me a chance to meet the instructors etc from the club and get an idea for their activities etc.

The following week I'll hopefully be doing a weeks diving in Malta, mostly group dives to build my confidence. I hope to get about 8 to 10 dives under my belt.

About a month later myself and a friend I certified with will be going away (most likely to Egypt) and will start off with tourist dives and if we feel up to it then hopefully do the AOW there. I reckon in terms of specialties - doing deep, navigation, night, drift and dry suit will make me a better diver and make me feel much more confident about getting in the water in the UK. Does this sound like a sensible combination for the uk conditions (the PPB option is tempting too).

:confused:

As for equipment, I agree, Getting fins, mask and snorkel will be enough to see me through these dives above(renting the rest of the gear locally) and when I settle into 'my kind' of diving in a year or so, look at investing further.

Thanks again for you help, I can't wait to get in the water

Conor

I would recommend getting your exposure suit, probably 7mm. It will add to your comfort if you have a well-fitting suit. Then the BC & weight belt, so you can get a handle on consistant weighting. When you buy the reg, you will also have to be prepared to get the computer & octopus; you can't use any of them alone. the tank is that last thing to buy because it is so cheap & easy to rent.

I salute you for getting interested in your local conditions. I dive in my locale all year round (the water holds het longer than the air, so it is at its nicest in Oct. & Nov. here.) There are things in England that do not exist in the Caribbean or the Mediteranean. they are worth seeing. There are some regs made especially for cold water, so inquire about them. Good luck!:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom