So many choices of Digital Video Cams need help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kawabunga0

Reaction score
Hi,
I am looking to buy a higher-end Digital Video Camera (3CCD) but need some advice from any experts. Models that I am looking at are:

Sony:
TRV-950
DSR-PDX10
VX2100

Canon:
GL-2

Requirements:
* Need to have a good underwater housing to protect the camera underwater
* The best resolution and picture quality in that price bracket

Purpose is to take good, broadcast quality pics (underwater) but all the specifications and technical terms used is way beyond me. I am quite new at this and would like to start off with a good camera, without needing to change it again for 4-5 years.

Any help is most appreciated.

kawabunga

before i go any deeper, are you looking for a camera housing with manuel or electronic controls ?

Tooth

personally, from your list, I like the GL2 .... I've looked at and like the IkeLite housings (though I've not had the chance to actually use one).

There are new, small sub$1000 3ccd video cams available now ... not sure who makes them, i think one is from Sony .... they use a smaller CCD, so quality will be a LITTLE less than the GL2, but it may be more in your budget.

Keep in mind you'll probably spend more for the housing than for the camera :) ... It doesn't matter how nice the camera is if it gets wet !

Scubatooth:
kawabunga

before i go any deeper, are you looking for a camera housing with manuel or electronic controls ?

Tooth

Thanks for responding, Scubatooth.
Preference is electronic, esp. for video shooting....but do the housings cost a lot?

I forgot to add that I would also like to use the 3CCD camera on land, taking my childrens' school concerts, sports, so it will have to be multi-purpose and creating good, quality stills and videos.

Sorry to trouble you all.

IslandHopper:
personally, from your list, I like the GL2 .... I've looked at and like the IkeLite housings (though I've not had the chance to actually use one).

There are new, small sub$1000 3ccd video cams available now ... not sure who makes them, i think one is from Sony .... they use a smaller CCD, so quality will be a LITTLE less than the GL2, but it may be more in your budget.

Keep in mind you'll probably spend more for the housing than for the camera :) ... It doesn't matter how nice the camera is if it gets wet !

Hi, Islandhopper, thanks for your great advise. I already dread thinking about how much I am going to cough up for the housing itself, but you are right, of course - if I am going to invest in a good videocam, I'll really need to have a housing that will protect that investment (of course the weak link will be myself, how well I put together the camera and the housing!!).

I have seen a diver taking videos using a Sony TRV-950 3CCD and the output was much better than my old trusty DCR-TRV310 - I am hoping that the GL-2 and VX2100 are even much better than the 950. Comments?

sorry for the delay in getting back to you but i had to work last night and just got up

well you have narrowed it down by wanting electronic controls as there isnt and wont be a electronic housing for the canon GL2 because of some inside agreements with the companies that make the housings with sony, so that it narrows it down to the vx2100 or the trv950, and personally the vx2100 is to new to have any judgement on it but the CCD block used for both sonys is almost the same except for that the 950s i think has 16x9 native capability(or thats the PDX-10).

but if the 2100 is the same as the 2000 i would skip it or go for the 950 or go for the pro versions of the PD-150(or newer 170) or PDX-10.

as for a housing i would go with the sea & sea housings as its got the most options and features for the price.

FWIW

Tooth

Scubatooth:
sorry for the delay in getting back to you but i had to work last night and just got up

well you have narrowed it down by wanting electronic controls as there isnt and wont be a electronic housing for the canon GL2 because of some inside agreements with the companies that make the housings with sony, so that it narrows it down to the vx2100 or the trv950, and personally the vx2100 is to new to have any judgement on it but the CCD block used for both sonys is almost the same except for that the 950s i think has 16x9 native capability(or thats the PDX-10).

but if the 2100 is the same as the 2000 i would skip it or go for the 950 or go for the pro versions of the PD-150(or newer 170) or PDX-10.

as for a housing i would go with the sea & sea housings as its got the most options and features for the price.

FWIW

Tooth

Hi, Tooth,
Any recommendations for an underwater video light?

make sure the unit has an adjustable white balance. Makes all the dif in the world in having to use lights.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom