So it seems my ATT landline now includes unlimited free calling to Mexico...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
So it seems my ATT landline now includes unlimited free calling within the US, to Canada, and to Mexico. When were they going to tell me...??

Do all ATT landlines have this now? Is this common to other companies as well?

Don't criticize my use of ATT or cheerlead for others. I am lucky to have what I do have here in Mayberry.

You still have a landline? The closest thing I have to a landline is my Magic Jack, and I can take that with me anywhere I go. And it has unlimited free calling to anywhere in the world that has internet service.

You still have a landline? The closest thing I have to a landline is my Magic Jack, and I can take that with me anywhere I go. And it has unlimited free calling to anywhere in the world that has internet service.
"Don't criticize my use of ATT or cheerlead for others. I am lucky to have what I do have here in Mayberry."

Can you hear me now....? :shakehead:

When I leave the country, I use Skype. Traveling around the US, I use my cell. At home, it's easiest to use my home phones.

Dandy Don, you must be one of those old fogies still living in the days when people feared the arrival of their telephone bill, frighted that the long distance calls they made would bust the budget. I remember those days, when I was in high school and college, when my parents would only call me once a week, and limit the call to 10 minutes, because of the long distance charges for a call from Illinois to East Lansing Michigan, and when Dad rebuked Mom for spending too much time on the phone talking to her Mother and Dad in Milwaukee, or to her Brothers in Madison and Minneapolis. Those days are long gone, but some people just never forget. When my mother was living with me, after Dad died, before she died, she would complain about not hearing from her long time friends, spread out all over the country from Virginia to Wisconsin, Minnesota, Tennessee, Colorado, even Hawaii. "Mom," I'd say, "Just pick up the damn phone and call them!" Mother always replied, "But I don't want to drive up your phone bill!" To which I replied, "Mother, how many times do I have to tell you - I pay a fixed rate for unlimited nationwide long distance calling! You can be on long distance calls for 12 hours a day as far as I am concerned; it won't increase my phone bill by one cent!" Yet every subsequent conversation on long distance calling went the same way.

Thank you T Mobile, because without their free calling and data to/from Mexico and Canada changes this summer the big three would continue to gouge thier customers

Last edited:
Sprint as well. My wife is able to keep tabs on me now here in Cozumel for no additional cost.

What is a landline?

I have an AT&T landline too (not U-verse voice) and also didn't know about it. In fact they list Mexico prices in their long distance plans and don't say anything about free calling for landline users - they show $.09 cents/min on the site...be careful in case it's just a billing error.

FYI - AT&T mobile share value plans can roam for free* in Mexico and they get a 1GB/mo data allowance as well (separate from your normal data plan). You do have to activate the package, though:

https://www.att.com/shop/wireless/international/mexico-roaming-bonus.html

* with typical legalese down below...but it's basically free.

Dandy Don, you must be one of those old fogies still living in the days when people feared the arrival of their telephone bill, frighted that the long distance calls they made would bust the budget. I remember those days, when I was in high school and college, when my parents would only call me once a week, and limit the call to 10 minutes, because of the long distance charges for a call from Illinois to East Lansing Michigan, and when Dad rebuked Mom for spending too much time on the phone talking to her Mother and Dad in Milwaukee, or to her Brothers in Madison and Minneapolis. Those days are long gone, but some people just never forget. When my mother was living with me, after Dad died, before she died, she would complain about not hearing from her long time friends, spread out all over the country from Virginia to Wisconsin, Minnesota, Tennessee, Colorado, even Hawaii. "Mom," I'd say, "Just pick up the damn phone and call them!" Mother always replied, "But I don't want to drive up your phone bill!" To which I replied, "Mother, how many times do I have to tell you - I pay a fixed rate for unlimited nationwide long distance calling! You can be on long distance calls for 12 hours a day as far as I am concerned; it won't increase my phone bill by one cent!" Yet every subsequent conversation on long distance calling went the same way.

My cell phone bill from Cuba to the United States was a little over $500 for the weekend a couple of weeks ago. No, the international plan does not work there. So, watching your rates when calling out of country is still smart.

Even Telcel (our major Mexico cell provider) offers free calls now to the US and Canada and free roaming - when I say "free" I mean that as long as the calls don't exceed the minutes alotted within whatever plan you have. I have a 1000 minutes of calls and 6gb of data (the most they offer here) - I have been using it in the states and in three billing cycles, I have not exceed my minutes or data and have had no surprises - my bill is exactly what it is supposed to be - sure has made things easier - no more carrying around 2 phones (a US and MX phone) :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom