So I got a hole in my dry glove

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

broncobowsher

Contributor
Reaction score
And the world didn't come to an end.

In California, 55° water. last dive of the day and as soon as I entered the water I could feel my hand getting wet in the palm. If I pull out now I won't get the dive in. So before we descend I point out that I am may be cutting the dive short due to a leaky glove and a cold hand. So we dive. Nothing to loose. If it is too cold we are getting out, no different then just giving up without trying.

I was NOT using the equalizing tubes. So the hand is still isolated from the suit with the wrist seal.
I really like the dry gloves. I have better dexterity then even a thin neoprene glove. I run a fairly light liner.

So the dive goes on and the hand gets soaked. It does get colder then if I were wearing a wet glove. I hold my own hand with the good hand and it does keep it warmer. After 10~15 minutes I find the hand is getting more comfortable. The water inside is warming up. Being it is only a pinhole leak and not a gash there isn't any flushing going on. It has turned into a wet glove. Not as warm as a proper wetsuit glove would be, but actually rather reasonable. It didn't call the dive and we finished as planned. I've had colder hands before.

Got back on the boat and pulled the gear off. As I pulled the glove off there wasn't that much water in it. Pretty sure that holding my own hand did a good job of keeping it from filling too much. I had about the same amount of loose water as what I could ring out of the liner by hand. I doubt it was more then a couple ounces at most.

Life went on. We had a good dive. What some would make out as a major issue turned out to be not that big of a deal. Now I understand this isn't always the case. If it were 40° water I have no doubt it would have been a bigger deal. But if you like your dexterity, don't let the threat of a punctured glove keep you away from dry gloves. As much as it sucks to have something fail, it is nice when the failure isn't as bad as people make it out to be. If it were really cold water, probably a good idea to pack a spare pair of gloves in one of those pockets. Now to change that glove before the next trip.

You could just aquaseal/cotal it between dives using a round toothpick.

You could just aquaseal/cotal it between dives using a round toothpick.
It would have been faster to swap the spare set of gloves. Just pointing out that it isn't that big of a problem in the first place. It turns out that it isn't an abort the dive deal, just an annoyance. At least in my case. If I were doing another dive that day, they would have been fixed and the spare (light weight) liners used. But the problem didn't exist in the prior dive. Only after starting the last dive of the day. The options once I was in the water were either to dive then go home, or pack it up and go home. Dive was the proper choice.

52 F water all the time. Leaky glove, not a big deal. Haven't yet decided - my mind changes often - on whether to bother with dry gloves or just go wet. Leaving the equalizing piece of fabric through the wrist seal does help prevent leaks through the glove seal, but it then risks seepage (not flood) up the arm. I figure a cold hand is still warmer than most of the wetsuit divers out there. Go diving and enjoy. Swap gloves if there is a leak, they all will eventually, so have some spares.

A lot of the spares (Atlas) have leaks. And no, I'm not driving back to Granger to chat about it.,

52 F water all the time. Leaky glove, not a big deal. Haven't yet decided - my mind changes often - on whether to bother with dry gloves or just go wet. ...//...
Suggestion:
Try 'fakey' dry gloves before you decide. I find them to be very comfortable even in extremely cold water.

XS Scuba sells them as "Dry-Five" 5mm dry gloves. We all know that they aren't really true dry gloves, BUT...

They are a beast to get on over your wrist, but extremely leak-free and very comfortable once on.

SemiDry.jpg

Thanks Lowviz. I have a full drawer full of gloves right now. Left sleeve is still a glued on wrist seal - I was using the Magic Glove system until I noticed wrist seal wear when digging my arm through the harness. My right seal is back to a home ovaled SiTech replaceable system. Eventually I'll put the SiTech ring back on the left. ITMT I have found I can work my camera better with the 3mm gloves alone that I was using under my thick latex waterproof gloves. It is all about water circulation, not whether the hands are wet or not.

...//...It is all about water circulation, not whether the hands are wet or not.
YES!!

Try the gloves with your wrist seal over the inner neoprene on the glove to fake out dry gloves. But I bet you will end up, as I did, with the glove's inner neoprene OVER your wrist seal.

:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom