So I bent my drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

broncobowsher

Contributor
Reaction score
I have a couple year old Ursuit and this summer I noticed after a dive there was a bubble in the layers in the butt area. The other week I was diving it and after there was the bubble that I had before and a new one in the shoulder. The drysuit is getting a DCS hit. The next day the bubble will be gone.

The inner liner (I think a non-structural nylon so it slides better) is separating on the inside. I would consider this just a cosmetic/comfort thing. But add in the bubbles and I am thinking I got a bad suit. Starting to delaminate? I am also chasing a leak in my right arm that has gotten bad enough that I will wring water out of the undergarment after a dive. There is also moisture in the right leg that just started and it isn't in the left. During a leak check the soap water solution will show the whole surface as slightly porous, but that is expected as it is the BDS (Breathable Drysuit System, Gore-Tex type performance material), which makes nailing down an exact leak very difficult. Big bubbles are easy to spot with soap. I thought I fixed the arm leak last time out but it is still there and just as bad.

I am looking to try and fix the suit again. The wrestling match with the inflated suit in the tub with a bottle of soapy water is not something I ever want filmed. But with the bubbles (in the layers of the suit), how much do you think that means it will be a loosing battle? I would hate to give up early, but I don't want to have every dive be a test dive if I fixed the leak from the last dive either. The other night I mocked up an order for a new SeaSoft suit and am thinking that would be a good way to go.

I would hate to give up early, but I don't want to have every dive be a test dive if I fixed the leak from the last dive either.

Ursuit BDS is quite famous for this. Once the material starts delaminating it is beyond repair.

This was the second gen. It was suppose to have been fixed.

I visited their factory showroom a few months ago. I was trying on a pretty nicely fitting bds and tried to ask what has been changed. They were really vague about that and carefully didn't promise anything about durability.

I have a couple year old Ursuit and this summer I noticed after a dive there was a bubble in the layers in the butt area. The other week I was diving it and after there was the bubble that I had before and a new one in the shoulder. The drysuit is getting a DCS hit. The next day the bubble will be gone.

The inner liner (I think a non-structural nylon so it slides better) is separating on the inside. I would consider this just a cosmetic/comfort thing. But add in the bubbles and I am thinking I got a bad suit. Starting to delaminate? I am also chasing a leak in my right arm that has gotten bad enough that I will wring water out of the undergarment after a dive. There is also moisture in the right leg that just started and it isn't in the left. During a leak check the soap water solution will show the whole surface as slightly porous, but that is expected as it is the BDS (Breathable Drysuit System, Gore-Tex type performance material), which makes nailing down an exact leak very difficult. Big bubbles are easy to spot with soap. I thought I fixed the arm leak last time out but it is still there and just as bad.

I am looking to try and fix the suit again. The wrestling match with the inflated suit in the tub with a bottle of soapy water is not something I ever want filmed. But with the bubbles (in the layers of the suit), how much do you think that means it will be a loosing battle? I would hate to give up early, but I don't want to have every dive be a test dive if I fixed the leak from the last dive either. The other night I mocked up an order for a new SeaSoft suit and am thinking that would be a good way to go.
It’s problems like this that finally made me give up drysuits and go back to high end custom wetsuits.
I couldn’t take the drama anymore with all the issues drysuits are prone to. I’m happier now that ever, and have more money in my pocket.

It’s problems like this that finally made me give up drysuits and go back to high end custom wetsuits.
I couldn’t take the drama anymore with all the issues drysuits are prone to. I’m happier now that ever, and have more money in my pocket.

Where are you getting the custom wetsuits?

Where are you getting the custom wetsuits?
I had three made by M&B Wetsuits in Long Beach, CA.
I’m using a free diving suit now that I had to extend the legs a bit. I’ve had many off the rack suits that I’ve modified to make them work and fit nice.
I’m looking at getting one made in the future at JMJ Wetsuits down in the Los Angeles area.
All of it sounds like a hassle, but to me it’s still much less hassle than dealing with drysuits. But then I have a pretty good tolerance to cold and even if I do get chilled it’s still worth it in my mind just for the simplicity of wetsuits.

Back
Top Bottom