So how much did you pay?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm a big Zeagle fan, that's no secret, and although I have an LDS that can do my annual reg service, it's actually cheaper for me to send them back to ScubaToys where I bought them. My preferred LDS isn't a Zeagle dealer, but their tech is an authorized Zeagle technician, so if I need service in a pinch, he can do it for me.

Hrmm so I guess the question becomes:

A. Do I spend around $500 for a top of the line Zeagle, and have to send it away to get serviced...

-- OR --

B. Pay $600 for pretty much almost the top of the line Scubapro/Aqualung and be able to get it services locally?

It just seems the the "total cost of ownership" over the lifetime of a reg seems to favor a local place. I figure the shipping cost alone (sending it insured w/ tracking) after 4 or 5 times is going to cost you more then the difference that you paid up front.

Dont get me wrong, if there was a Zeagle authorised dealer in my area, then I would not even be posting this question, and going right for it. Im not a name junkie where I have to have the SP/AL logo on my gear....

catherine96821:
Ron, can you get parts in remote locations for Zeagle regs? That is the main reason I choose SP because I know atomic, apeks are good also. Some people carry the spare parts.

The warranty is worth nothing to me. On just about any product except returns to Costco.

here, the guru who works on regs is where they all go from the shops. So, I just take it directly to his place. I save about 40 % on service.

Hey Catherine,

I'm not really sure of the parts availability worldwide for Zeagle, but I bet a PM to Scott would answer that question. He is also so responsive that I bet that he would go out of the way to ship parts anywhere possible, but this is speculation on my part.

Maybe he'll respond. I do know that Zeagles are rather easy to work on even if I have little experience with actually doing so. I *think* they are one of the few DIR approved regs as one can work on them easily with little in the way of tools.

The other thing to keep in mind, is Zeagle does not play that "we are not allowed to sell parts to individuals" game... so if you have a guru that works on regs... the zeagles are pretty much the same as apeks regs to work on, and you can get parts, and even the service manual. By the time you kick in your SB discount, the parts are pretty cheap too.

MantaRey:
One thing you should keep in mind though is at a LDS you're paying for more than just the regulator. Sure LP has the same reg for less money; but you may have issues with the warrantee, and you can definitely count out customer service. Just keep in mind that if you buy stuff at your LDS they'll be more than happy to help you out a lot in the future should you need it.

And that is a good price for it. Great reg, plus the warrantee is spectacular. I love mine. Is it the mk25AF?

Yeah, but $175 will buy a lot of parts and service....

I think MSRP on the MK25/ S600 is $675 If I remember right from when I was looking through the price list when I was at the shop yesterday. We'll do 10% off under certain circumstances (if it is a student we refund that portion of their class). One thing to keep in mind with SP is their lifetime parts replacement. Which saves you about $45 per year. Also at my LDS if the reg was purchased from us (no matter the brand) we charge $10 less for the labor on the annual.
Buying at your LDS you need to look at a lot more than just the price. For example, if you buy gear from us, you can try it out in the pool for no charge. We assemble and pressure test reg set ups when you get them. I'm sure you LDS has similar "perks"

You could probably get a nice discount if your LDS has any of the MK16s left. It's not as high powered a 1st stage as the Mk25, but I can't imagine anyone really telling a difference while diving. Then you could pair it with (another discontinued) G250 2nd stage and you'd have an excellent SP reg which your shop is allowed to sell at a discount. Since SP still makes parts for my 30 year old B/A 2nd stage, I would not worry about them not supporting the reg.

scubatoys:
The other thing to keep in mind, is Zeagle does not play that "we are not allowed to sell parts to individuals" game... so if you have a guru that works on regs... the zeagles are pretty much the same as apeks regs to work on, and you can get parts, and even the service manual. By the time you kick in your SB discount, the parts are pretty cheap too.

I'm not sure that any manufacturers actually play that game. My impression is that is an LDS game. And a quite popular one until retailers like you came along.

Thanks

350xfire:
Yeah, but $175 will buy a lot of parts and service....

Not really. If you are paying for parts, you should definately get one but probably not 2 services out of that. Still no big deal if you plan to service every 2 years or so.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom