So, anybody hear anything bad, good indifferent about the Sealife DC500?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mike_s:
One more thing. I hope the new DC500 "writes" to the memory faster. After the picture preview on the DC310, it writes pretty slooooooooow if you want to take a quick second pic. One solution to this is I know buying a ultra-fast SD memory chip, which I'm prob gonna do. Of course we still have to wait for the flash to cycle back to charged.

BTW.... the new camera, does it use SD memory? (I'm assuming it does).

mike

Yes - judging by my quick reading of the manual - the DC500 uses SD memory cards and there's apparently some mode ("continuous shooting mode") that allows you to take pics in quick succession (though I don't see how that would work since the external flash takes at least 5 secs to recharge between shots). Also, you can now use TIFF files in addition to JPEG files, which is a bonus.

My concern is still that the manual does not address the focus range for the 8x and 16x lenses unlike the DC310 manual. It gives these distances for the normal and wide angle lenses though.

I emailed Sealife to ask about the compatibility of Sealife's macro lenses with DC500 and here's what they replied:

"The 3x,8x & 16x lenses are not compatible with the camera. The camera
has an optical zoom that allows you to get to within 2" of what you are
shooting."

So I guess I won't be upgrading anytime soon...

Just to add, Sealife's site currently states under the DC500 describtion: " SeaLife's Digitals also can be used as waterproof land cameras and are completely compatible with all other SeaLife® lenses, accessories, and Wide Angle Lens (SL970)." link, so either their promotional info misrepresents their new camera, or the representative who replied to my email got it wrong...

*Floater*:
For those interested, you may view the manual for DC500 at Sealife's site: http://www.sealife-cameras.com/service/manuals.html

"I agree with mike about the new rechargeable batteries; I've been very happy to use the AA's in my DC310. If I upgrade to the DC500, then I have to use some new custom battery, and I may end up needing to buy an extra one if the camera eats up the battery too quickly."

FWIW, I just got the DC500 Pro Kit via Fed Ex yesterday and went through the entire package contents and manual last night. There is a rechargeable battery for the camera. The camera comes with it's own docking station (which is basically the size of a dollar bill) and you just pop the camera in, plug it in and it recharges the battery. Supposed to be a long-life battery but never hurts to have a back up. The flash arm uses AA batteries. On advice from photographer members of scubadiving magazine's D2D board, I purchased a Maha battery recharger and NiMH Rechargeable Batteries. (Apparently the Japanese charger and rechargeables are the best on the market.)
Really nice 2 inch view screen. The menu looks pretty easy and prompts are easy to read. Added plus...an available wide angle lens that you can pop on underwater. Also, you need to purchase the flash diffuser to help eliminate backscatter. Sweet! I think this is going to be a great camera...for a newbie photographer like me. Taking it to Coz next week so I'll be able to give better comments after I see my photos.
:bfish:

I didn't know they were shipping yet?

Where'd you get it from ? (and how much?)

Back to the batteries and the dock.

Can you hook it up via regular USB cable?

I guess you have to take that "dock" with you though on a trip
in order to recharge the batteries.

I too would rather just have AA batteries, especially since
you still have to use AA batteries for the flash.

now we have to carry two chargers on a trip instead of just one.

mike_s:
Are you kidding me? What about the cell phone and iPod charger? :D That's at least 3 chargers I carry.

fairybasslet:
Are you kidding me? What about the cell phone and iPod charger? :D That's at least 3 chargers I carry.

yeah. I know what you mean. I carried a power strip on the last trip to plug them all in.

JenLoves2Dive:
Taking it to Coz next week so I'll be able to give better comments after I see my photos.

Please take some macro (or close-up) shots shots as well other shots. I'm looking forward to seeing how your pics turn out.

I just got back from Turneffe and used my Nik V. There was also a couple there with the new Sealife w/ strobe and a Canon in a housing.

Unrelated to quality of prints and interchangeable lenses.......

Our DM, who sees alot of u/w cameras commented to me and my buddy the following....

I never see your camera flood (pointing to our Nik V), but I see these flood all the time (pointing to the SeaLife and the Canon).

mike_s:
I didn't know they were shipping yet?

Where'd you get it from ? (and how much?)www.scuba.com or www.diversdiscount.com
(They are one and the same.)
Click on Cameras...then digital. Scroll down to the DC500.
Cost for the pro kit was $679.95. Pro kit includes the strobe. If you are going to get the kit, spring for the extra $19.95 and buy the flash diffuser. I went ahead and got the wide-angle lens and the lens dock which screws into the bottom of the housing to hold the lens.

Can you hook it up via regular USB cable? YES
I guess you have to take that "dock" with you though on a trip
in order to recharge the batteries. That "dock" is only the size of the base of the digital camera w/out housing. It's smaller than a dollar bill. The camera slips into the dock which charges the camera's lithium battery. You need a separate charger for AA batteries. Really not a big deal. They are so small these days.Line up 4 AA batteries in a row and that's the size of your battery charger!

Big "waaa" here! If you are going to all that trouble to buy a nice underwater digital camera, you are probably going to have it in a carrying case, anyway. This carrying case will fit in the top of my carry-on bag along with my regulator bag. The camera comes in a carrying case w/a shoulder strap. You can fit everything, camera, strobe, dock, battery charger in the bag with no problem. Only pain in the a## I see is making sure you remember to bring everything! LOL!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom