So Annoyed!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm sorry you did not get to dive and worse you had to pay for it!

Did you speak with the dive op and explained what happened to you? They may put you on a different trip a different day, who knows. I think they rather keep you as a costumer than just take your money!

Hey Leapfrog, maybe he should ask for a deal :D j/k!

Wiz

Everyone has the answer already. Knock yourself out somehow with our drug of choice. It is the only way I can ever get to sleep before something like a day of boat diving.

Jack Daniels and Ibuprophin for me. How can poster have anxiety about diving but jump out of an airplane?
Well, actually jumping out of an airplane is easy.... you should see the planes we jump out of..... as soon as that door is open we all want out! In skydiving the only mental block is "the door". Once you're out your instincts will save your life. In scuba your instincts could kill you.
Hey Leapfrog, maybe he should ask for a deal j/k! Wiz
I would let him dive again the next time without charging him. That's one hell of a deal. :lotsalove:

Why not try booking an afternoon trip for your first few times back in the water? I find that the insomnia-producing anxiety tends to be less if the activity isn't the first thing in the morning. Moreover, if you have trouble getting to sleep, you can sleep in.

I think it's great that you were THAT excited. Learn to relax a bit and hit the boat next week. You'll love it!

I may be missing something, but I'm a lot more concerned about the Source of the anxiety than ways to "power through" it (such as knocking oneself out with drugs). I'm guessing that a person who is so anxious about an activity, whether it be diving or skydiving, has some pretty deep-rooted concerns about being ready for that activity. Many will say that the only "cure" is to get out there and get more experience, and the anxiety will go away. That's true, but it doesn't help with those several first dives needed to get the experience. It's quite a conundrum.
I think I would try some very low intensity initial dives that are unlikely to produce anxiety, then move to more challenging ones. This might require some very simple shore dives with experienced partners, or even pool dives. Once the SOURCE of the anxiety is met and overcome, then sleep should come naturally the night before.

I may be missing something, but I'm a lot more concerned about the Source of the anxiety than ways to "power through" it
Let's put this in perspective. The user did not mention anxiety. It could very well be just plain old excitement combined with something they ate or drank. Before we start trying to diagnose a problem, let's see if there IS a problem. Let him try again next week and see how it goes! Insomnia doesn't seem to be that frequent for him.

In the almost 70 years that I have been around I have experienced the inability to go to sleep quite a few times. I found a remedy for his problem in the 60's when I was traveling around the country. If I didn't go to sleep within about twenty minutes after laying down I would take a couple doubles of Jack and roll a fat one. Usually I went off to bye-bye land right away.
:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::popcorn:

BTW, had to post another comment here: If you even THINK about smoking up in UAE, they'll put to in jail for a LONG time...if you're lucky.

Awhile ago, a tourist's bag failed a canabis test...no, he didn't have weed in the bag, but there was either a tiny amount on the outside of the bag, or residue. Might as well have had a pound of coke on him.

Take two Aspirin a Melatonin get a good nights sleep and post in the morning! :wink:

Melatonin can be tricky to get hold of in reasonable doses over the counter outside of the US (forget the stuff that has 0.1mg in it - that's not enough), but you may be able to get your doctor to prescribe it.

I'm another insomniac, and I find that if i have to get up before a certain time in the morning - usually around 6am - I just can't sleep the night before. I'd second the suggestion to try to schedule some afternoon dives to begin with.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom