SO am I offically a swamp diver? (Very long)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lukiedukie

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
This morning I had the pleasure to dive with Humanphibin, Tx Wingnut, and Texass at CSSP. All I can say is thank god we where there to dive as it was hot even at 10 am. I hit the water with 14lbs of lead on me which was a bit much. During the frist two dive Texass was poppinbg pics like he was papperzi and Tx Wingnut was Brad Pitt. Humanphibian found a crawfish claw and gave it to me. I still had it after the dive and it did made the trip home with me. After we got to the surface he was taking pics of him and not me. We did take a few shots all together sitting on top of the plane. I was going through air like there was no tomorrow on the first dive. The four of us did a second dive and I was a little better on the air consumption and down to 10lbs of lead in my bcd and 2lbs of ankle weights strapped around my tank valve. That seemed to do the trick from what Texass said. We put in at the dock near the plane and took a compass heading of 180 degrees and headed to the wall on the far side. We got to see a couple huge bass and a lot dinner plate size perch. I know where I will be doing some illegal fishing some time in the near future. (J/King) We made it a long ways down that far wall probally 5 mintues past the white PVC pipe before We had to turn around as I was at 1500 psi. Humanphibian did some amazing nav work under water as we popped up with in feet of where we put in. After the dive Texass and I did a buoyancy check at 10 feet and it looks like that is where I need to be lead wise. I was was not able to hold 10 feet exactly but was slowly dropping to 11 or slowly floating up to 9 with a full lung capcity. This was with 500psi in the tank. Tx Wingnut was done after the second dive and packed up the three of us did one more dive where I was even better with my air cusumption till Scott and Texass got us lost looking for the boat. LOL We put in at the same point and followed the same compass heading to the far side again and swam up to where we thought the boat should be. As we made the turn away from the wall I was at 2000psi we crossed over the middle and there was no boat. They two leaders looked at each other and some how I knew they had no idea where we where. For some reason my breathing rate picked up and I could not seem to get it slowed back down for the rest of the dive. I hit 500psi about 50 yards short of the dock and Scott and swam it back on the surface. I did get to see some bass on laying in their beds and they just seemed to be sleeping there. Got to see some cat fish and chased a couple of prech so all in all it was a great day. Sorry this is so long. Sherry is thank full that you guys had nicer equipment then I did so I was allowed to come home to her. I will in the future rent two tanks so I do not hold every one up with fills after every dive

I just wanted to say thanks guys for being patient with my rapid air consumption as I know you guys had about 2000psi when I was 500psi. I will work on getting that under control asap. Once again thank you for working and diving with me. Texass if you will kindly throw some pics up it would be great. I would like to give you my email addy so I can print a few out just for grins and giggles.

Thanks again
Hope to see you all soon

Luke

I'd for sure give you the nod, BUT Texass was the senior (And one of the 7 founders, I believe) so he has the final say. But you dove with swampers, and I think that is the only requirement soo........

Just get that girl of yours out there so she doesn't feel left out. She would have loved the water today HUH? well above 30 ft. anyway!

c'ya

humanphibian:
I'd for sure give you the nod, BUT Texass was the senior (And one of the 7 founders, I believe) so he has the final say. But you dove with swampers, and I think that is the only requirement soo........

Just get that girl of yours out there so she doesn't feel left out. She would have loved the water today HUH? well above 30 ft. anyway!

c'ya

Oh yeah, from what Luke tells me, y'all really missed me today...NOT! :D

Way to go.....sounds like you are Official being with the group of Swamp Divers you were with,,,,,,,,,air consumption is a skill you will master with continued diving!!

humanphibian:
pssstt........ we wern't LOST, we just couldn't find what we were looking for. :wink:

Hmmmmm....

Something tells me none of you guys would've asked for directions, either...

What a blast. The water is finally getting warm.

Hey Luke, ya done great. Nobody would ever suspect that you just got certified. By the 3rd dive you had your trim dialed in and your buoyancy nailed.

And Firegodess,,,we did what all guys do. Since what we were looking for obviously wasn't where it was supposed to be, we decided to look for something else.

It was fun meeting you too, TxWingnut.

Humanphibian is the one sporting the doubles.

He may not dive like a newbie but he sure looks like one. Did anyone explain to Lukie that the cool divers don't wear snorkels?

Water temprature plays a big factor in air consumption also. I have only been out there once, about 55-60 degrees but I was burning air about twice as fast as I do in warm water, 75 or above. It just comes with time and being comfortable in the water.

Back
Top Bottom