So... am I being cheap ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lhpdiver

Contributor
Reaction score
My wife has had a pair of Oceanic V12 fins for the last 17 months or so. After yesterday's second dive the little rubber stub used to attach the strap on one fin snapped off, you could say sheared off. So I went to my local Ace Hdwe store and bought some crazy glue and a large c clamp. Today the repair seems rock solid, although she hasn't tried using the fiin in the water. I'll probably buy her a new pair - but what do you think the chances are that my repair might work ?

The chances of it staying in place are close to zero.

They have a lifetime warranty, so you should be able to send them back for replacement.

Terry

lhpdiver:
My wife has had a pair of Oceanic V12 fins for the last 17 months or so. After yesterday's second dive the little rubber stub used to attach the strap on one fin snapped off, you could say sheared off. So I went to my local Ace Hdwe store and bought some crazy glue and a large c clamp. Today the repair seems rock solid, although she hasn't tried using the fiin in the water. I'll probably buy her a new pair - but what do you think the chances are that my repair might work ?

Web Monkey:
The chances of it staying in place are close to zero.

They have a lifetime warranty, so you should be able to send them back for replacement.

Terry

Nope - 12 month warranty. Now my ScubaPro fins do have a lifetime warranty, but she _loves_ these fins. :-}

Lets put it this way .....do ya have a little something on the side and youre waiting for the fins to fail......?? Dont tell me you have done reg repairs too !!!

Seriously...I dont think it will last. And, when it fails...it will probably fail at the worse time. Sometimes ya just gotta bite the bullet and go the full route....replace them.

There are spring straps you can buy that require you cut off those knobs and screw the spring traps on. Apollo spring straps. Here goes a link to their website.

Jason

What's the cost of new fins as compared to a failure at the worst time.

Someone once said to me when I complained about the price.

"It's very equipment dependent"

Understatement at its best.

Web Monkey:
According to this: http://www.oceanicww.com/p_fins_v12.html it's a limited Lifetime Warranty.

Terry

Apparently different parts of the fins have different warranty coverage. Boot/blade are lifetime. Straps etc are 1 year. BUT - this story has a happy ending. My lds sold my wife a new pair today at a very, very good price. They would have replaced them had I not repaired them. Should my repair fail - they wiill then replace them. This is a case of the lds concept working !!

you better buy her something sparkley now...... DOG HOUSE!!!!! If my husband even CONSIDERED doing that, we'd have a problem. Fix your own stuff if you want, but not hers or anyone elses....... Your beyond the flower :fruit:

for future...sometimes manufacturers get a bad batch, where the tabs will consistently pull away - oceanic had such a batch last year, and they replaced every single one of them.

If it happens again - it should be covered.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom