So after the bombing in indonesia...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

orangeBloke:
...........Aslo as regards Muslim areas some of my the best people I know are Muslims and I'm proud to call them friends. It's only a group of nutters that are causing the problems, no sane person would cause this kind of mayhem. Where I come from in Ireland we have our own fanatics claiming to be fighting in the name of Christian religions. The vast majority of Irish people would tell you that they want nothing to do with them. They're just as crazy as the those currently grabbing the headlines. So don't feel frightened of the Muslim countries or their people, you've probably just as good, if not better, a chance of being attacked or mugged in any major city as you have in any of the Muslim states

I agree. Ireland is a good comparison. Anywhere you go carries a risk of some sort, whether from local diseases, political issues or simply getting on the plane to get there. Or you could walk out of your front door tomorrow and get run over by a bus. If you choose to deny yourself the adventures your soul desires then "terror" wins. You have to live your life to the full and accept that there are certain risks in pretty much everything you do. Personally, I don't beleive Islamic countries are any more dangerous than anywhere else in the world. For years, London has lived under the threat of bomb attacks from the IRA due to the conflict in Ireland, it hasn't stopped tourists coming to visit London, and personally, I don't beleive the apparrent al quaida threat makes it any more dangerous than it was before. Tourist destinations are always a risk, wherever they are. It's important to keep it in perspective and still enjoy life. There have always been risks in travelling, the thing these days is that when stuff happens its much more widely publicised than before.
I would still go on your trip, keep your wits about you as you would anywhere - I am sure you'll have a fantastic time! Life is too short to miss out on these adventures!

Here is the unofficial word from an election expert in jakarta. Go. No problem in those places (I was at Bunaken a few weeks ago). No problem really in Jakarta either that you might not face anywhere else in the world (I took a boat to one of the islands offshore on Saturday and did three dives in six hours). Only a very tiny minority of the population is extremist, and contrary to the State Department, we do not expect violent elections.

Cheers, Tim

cjames:
My wife and I basically have a trip planned out to Bali and Sulawesi next spring. Anybody hearing anything from a security perspective? Two of my clients have put Indonesia on the restricted travel list. I'm still thinking that its OK, but I don't want to have to be looking over my shoulder the whole time.

Just on opinion. I think that was..........wait, don't give them any fuel, just a start to a stupid thought..................go ahead and go...............ummmm............things have changed...........I think that was just a stupid human trick............Opinion question.............Damn, I wish I had the perfect answer. Think about it. Have ......faith?

tracker:
Just on opinion. I think that was..........wait, don't give them any fuel, just a start to a stupid thought..................go ahead and go...............ummmm............things have changed...........I think that was just a stupid human trick............Opinion question.............Damn, I wish I had the perfect answer. Think about it. Have ......faith?

lol, drugs or alcohol?

Not that you'd be diving there ... but ... Bali is a great deal safer in all respects (imho) than, say, London - which is where I'm from.

Suggest if you decide to do Sulawesi/Manado, that you contact Murex www.MurexDive.com who dive Bunaken Marine Park and also provide the diving for Lembeh Resort.

Have a great trip!

Indonesia diving is truely great. With the bombing prices get better as demand falls due to security reasons.

If look closely at where the dive sites are, it is extremely remote compared to say Kuta.

Lembongan needs a long long boat ride to get to.
Tulamben a 2 hour car ride.
Menjangan perhaps 3 to 4 hour car ride.

It is a bit like saying RIOTS in Los Angeles have caused security problems in San Francisco.

These remote sites do not provide the political statement for these terrorist. Not many people to begin with and most are locals helping service the divers and resorts.

Hey all,

I have my airline tickets, my accomodations, I just have no idea about diving in Bali. I will be going with my wife, two small children and a few of my wife's friends. My wife has already told me to dive all I would like for the first week while her friends are with us. God bless her.

So, here is the situation, I will be a single diver and the first week I'll be staying at the Jimbaran Hills Resort (out in the middle of nowhere). I'm very flexible on where to dive, since I have no clue, although I've researched all the dive points.

I read that orangeBloke and tinylia have just returned so, does anyone have any advice? I've checked out a lot of dive operators on the net but I don't know anyone who has dived there yet.

If anyone has any information on dive operators, low prices and particular dive points, please feel free. PLEASE!

Chris

Universal Diver:
Hey all,

I have my airline tickets, my accomodations, I just have no idea about diving in Bali. I will be going with my wife, two small children and a few of my wife's friends. My wife has already told me to dive all I would like for the first week while her friends are with us. God bless her.

So, here is the situation, I will be a single diver and the first week I'll be staying at the Jimbaran Hills Resort (out in the middle of nowhere). I'm very flexible on where to dive, since I have no clue, although I've researched all the dive points.

I read that orangeBloke and tinylia have just returned so, does anyone have any advice? I've checked out a lot of dive operators on the net but I don't know anyone who has dived there yet.

If anyone has any information on dive operators, low prices and particular dive points, please feel free. PLEASE!

Chris

The bad news is that in Jimbaran you are far from Bali's best sites (Penida, Padangbai & Candidasa, Tulamben...). The good news is that 1/ Diving is really really good in Bali and 2/ You still can get access to the best sites from Jimbaran if you are prepared to be gone for the whole day...

Would like to help but always base myself in East Bali.

Lucky you you will have a blast !

Back
Top Bottom