So after the bombing in indonesia...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You could try ENA dive as they seem to have some link with Jambaran Hills Resort http://www.jimbaran-hills.com/ena-dive.html. some of the shops in Nusa Dua might be willing to pick you up as you won't be too far away from them. Do a quick Google to find out what's there.

There's some very basic diving from Nusa Dua but Nusa Penida is only about 45-60mins away by speed boat and the diving there is great. Also a little further along there are more sites opposite Candidasa. If you want to spend a few hours each way in a van you can go up to Tulamben

I can't comment about security coz I'm biased (I'm Indonesian), so I'll try to give pointers about the diving instead. Sulawesi is fabulous, try to make time for other sites besides Bunaken:
- Likupang
- Bangka
- Lembeh (a must!! it's simply fabulous!)
I'd highly recommend Eco Divers operating out of Tasik Ria Resort - fab boat and guides, and great accommodation.

BALI
I go home to Bali to dive 3-4 times a year, and I'd strongly recommend that you go with a reputable dive operator. There are about 150 dive operators in Bali, and only a handful of good, responsible, safety-conscious ones. Don't be tempted by rock-bottom prices - this can only mean they cut corners and therefore put your safety at risk.

Most of the dive ops can pick you up from your hotel at no extra charge, and drive you back after the dives. They will even wash your gear for you :) Jimbaran is not "in the middle of nowhere", just a wee bit off the main road :wink:

Here are some that I would recommend (I don't work for any of them, I'm just a very satisfied customer :))

- Bali Scuba
- Waterworx

As for sites, depending on what you want to see, here are some recommendations:
- Nusa Penida: pelagics, walls, clear water, drift dives. (Top site)
- Tulamben: wreck, macro, lots of fish, wall. (Best, easiest wreck dive in Asia IMHO)
- Menjangan: Wall, pelagics, clear water (depending on season)
- Secret Bay: macro
- Seraya: macro
- Puri Jati: new site... I haven't been yet but I heard there's a resident colony of mimic octopus
- Padang Bai: reef, wobbegong sharks, macro.
- Gili Selang, Biaha, Tepekong: drift, sharks, lobsters.

If you want to find out more about Bali diving, from people who actually live there, check out this local diving club's website.

I hope this helps.

Universal Diver:
Hey all,

I have my airline tickets, my accomodations, I just have no idea about diving in Bali. I will be going with my wife, two small children and a few of my wife's friends. My wife has already told me to dive all I would like for the first week while her friends are with us. God bless her.

So, here is the situation, I will be a single diver and the first week I'll be staying at the Jimbaran Hills Resort (out in the middle of nowhere). I'm very flexible on where to dive, since I have no clue, although I've researched all the dive points.

I read that orangeBloke and tinylia have just returned so, does anyone have any advice? I've checked out a lot of dive operators on the net but I don't know anyone who has dived there yet.

If anyone has any information on dive operators, low prices and particular dive points, please feel free. PLEASE!

Chris

Hi Chris,

I too, have used Bali Scuba, and they're great. However, if you want to do a really cheap dive, you can do it all by yourself.

I brought my own gears, so I just rent the tank. I'd hire a car with a driver, it usually costs $30/day. Then the driver can take you to the dive sites. Any dive site that requires a traditional boat, you can hire it for Rp40-Rp50K. Should you need a buddy, you may be able to just a guide for a lot less. Just remember, it is all negotiable.

I myself will be there in Nov. Have fun!!

Thanks for all the information. I will do a little more research on it.

The Diving Club information (from neve) is interesting and I also feel stupid because I checked all over the Jimbaran Hills homepage and never saw the Ena Divers section (from orangeBloke).

Diving alone could be very interesting as well. I would love to dive the Liberty wreck in Tulumben and it isn't such a difficult dive. Thanks tinylia. BTW, when will you be there?

Chris

Universal Diver:

The Diving Club information (from neve) is interesting and I also feel stupid because I checked all over the Jimbaran Hills homepage and never saw the Ena Divers section (from orangeBloke).

Diving alone could be very interesting as well. I would love to dive the Liberty wreck in Tulumben and it isn't such a difficult dive. Thanks tinylia. BTW, when will you be there?

Chris

Tulemben is a great place for self-managed diving, either solo or with a friend, and there is an active thread in the Asia section on Tulemben just now (I'll be there on the 18th).

Best, Tim

meisburger:
Tulemben is a great place for self-managed diving, either solo or with a friend, and there is an active thread in the Asia section on Tulemben just now (I'll be there on the 18th).

Best, Tim

Sorry youisnotburger.

Just got back friom Lembeh.

It was very scary.

I wouldn't recomend it to anyone.

There were too many divers.

Cheers

Thanks Hamburger! I've had that name for 46 years and never once read it as "me is burger". Great! But when I was a kid I was known as Cheeseburger, until they started calling me Psyco.

The Lembeh Straight is in North Sulawesi, far from Bali, but if you thought it was crowed there...

Universal Diver:

Chris

We spent a few days in Tulamben last year and you can definitely dive solo there. I'm not usually comfortable doing that but the wreck is literally 50 ft. off shore in 25-60fsw with no currents so it is pretty hard to get into trouble. Plus there are usually a fair number of divers around so easy to hook up with someone to dive with if you'd prefer - it's not crowded but it's not deserted either. It is a really fun dive with tons of fish and lots of variety and you can night dive as well. You could do a twilight/night dive around 6-7Pm and still be back in Jimbaran by 11PM.

Jen,

Good information. I'm not too worried about getting into too much trouble. I've done a few dives and feel comfortable diving alone. I often dive in Japan alone. I'm an OWSI and don't have many problems with diving solo here.

Are there any dive services near the wreck to get tanks?

Chris

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom