Snowcave Found! Oregon...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The footprints go up to the summit. Can they see the south slope? They say that is easier. So...would this storm have arrived to the mountain from the NW?

My brother pilots those shnooks. I think the Marines use them for troop transport?

Okay, just found a more up to date link:

HOOD RIVER, Ore. (AP) -- None of the three missing climbers on Mount Hood were found in a snow cave near the mountain's peak, authorities said Sunday.

Rescuers who reached the cave found a sleeping bag, ice axes and rope, said Sgt. Gerry Tiffany, spokesman for the Hood River County Sheriff's Office.

So, I wonder how long it's been since they've had fresh snow, up there? They may be able to tell how fresh the footprints are.

I don't like the fact that they left so much necessary gear in the cave, unless they didn't plan on going far for very long.

Unless he got up to sunshine and decided to make a break for it and get the hell out of there. That would be hard to resist if you had been holed up in there for a week. You would be a little nuts by then.

The footprints are hard to gauge because of the wind, hard snow, drifting snow, they say.

The news is live, Chantal. Why you looking on the web, girl?

That's discouraging news. I can't see any reason you would leave shelter and especially your sleeping bag behind if you were thinking rationally, unless you expected to reach safety imminently. Such a beautiful clear day, if the missing climbers were in the area and even just step outside, they would likely be seen. All those helicopters hovering overhead all day, tells me the climbers are not in the area or...

Right this second, I don't have access to cable TV, just wireless network. I'm not at home.

I guess like we were talking about the hypothetical abandoned at sea thread. Staying in a known location has big advantages. There were able to tell someone they were in a snow cave to send some sort of direction to the search and then left. Not good for them

ReefHound:
That's discouraging news. I can't see any reason you would leave shelter and especially your sleeping bag behind if you were thinking rationally, unless you expected to reach safety imminently. Such a beautiful clear day, if the missing climbers were in the area and even just step outside, they would likely be seen. All those helicopters hovering overhead all day, tells me the climbers are not in the area or...
I'm afraid I see this the same way.

one found dead.

Different snowcave.

Dang! Thanks for the updates, Catherine, this is frustrating.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom