Snorting water like a cocaine addict

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Darcey

Contributor
Reaction score
I know that the topic of mask removal problems has been discussed time and time again and is like beating a dead horse...but I would like to throw this question out there as I have never seen it in any other mask removal related topics.

Long story short...I had a heck of a time with the mask flood and clear and removal skills. I don't know why...especially because I'm a lifeguard of 10 years and water in my eyes and nose doesn't bother me. For some reason the mask flood and removal skills tried to drown me multiple times because I'd get my mask either filled or off and would snort water through my nose while breathing thorugh my regulator. No, I don't have a problem with breathing in or out through my nose because my mask doesn't have bad leaking issues and I can sit in my hot tub or friends pool without a mask and only my snorkel and be just fine...but the minute I got that reg in my mouth all hell would break loose and I was snorting water like a cocaine addict snorts lines.:doh2:

My recent "no s**t Sherlock" observation: Rental regulators are like a box of chocolate. You never know what you're going to get.

My LDS takes poor care of their regs and I've had many problems with them from them breathing too hard to blown O rings. I'm more than done with rental regs and since the thought of going to Belize and fighting with a rental for a week (and ever having to use a rental reg again for that matter) gives me nightmares I bought my own regulator yesterday. :D I got a Scubapro MK25/S600 and when the dive shop owner had me try it out I was in shock. Breathing through my new reg was like breathing on land without one...unlike all of the rental regs I've ever used. Breathing through a rental reg on land is like sucking air through a French horn. Trust me, I play the French horn. It's hard and there's a lot of resistance.

My point and question: Could the poor air flow/hard resistance from the rentals have caused me to suck just enough air through my nose at the same time that I was snorting water?

I'm heading to the pool next Wednesday to take my new regulator for a spin before I leave for Belize that following Sunday and I'm anxious to do the mask removal drill and see if I try to drown myself as usual. I sure hope not because I'm starting rescue diver after I get back from Belize and need to have this mastered without snorting water!

Last edited:
I may be wrong but I doubt that the reg has any effect one way or the other on your ability to close off your nasal passages when you remove your mask. I witnessed two different people, one male and one female, who weren't able to do the remove the mask routine and subsequently didn't get their OW cert. It's just a matter of practice.

I believe it can. Here's why: I never have a problem when I do mask removals using my Oceanic Omega II regulator. It breathes pretty easy.

But last weekend, in the pool, I was using my Mistral double hose regulator. I noticed that my mask kept sucking in toward my face. It was getting a substantial vacuum. I had to more purposefully breathe through my mouth to keep this from happening.

There is absolutely a difference in cracking pressure between my Omega II and a Mistral when swimming face down. The Mistral might have 3" or more and the Omega II about 1.5" (give or take). It was enough to be noticeable.

Try a better regulator.

Richard

My point and question: Could the poor air flow/hard resistance from the rentals have caused me to suck just enough air through my nose at the same time that I was snorting water?

I can't say for certain, but I doubt it.

Try this. Breathe in through your mouth. Slowly cover your mouth with your hand, increasing resistance until you make a seal. At any time do you start breathing through your nose? I don't.

I can't say for certain, but I doubt it.

Try this. Breathe in through your mouth. Slowly cover your mouth with your hand, increasing resistance until you make a seal. At any time do you start breathing through your nose? I don't.

I do. I notice that there's a bit of a "pull" like I'm trying to breathe through my nose just a tad without trying.

After reading this, I took out my Aqualung Titan and turned the air flow thingie on the second stage all the way down to the most resistance and went into the pool. Sorry, but the extra resistance doesn't make me want to snort water through my nose. It's probably just an individual thing.

I do. I notice that there's a bit of a "pull" like I'm trying to breathe through my nose just a tad without trying.

Weird. Well, I guess that's your culprit, then. It's best to use a good breathing regulator for multiple reasons anyway. Enjoy your 25/600. I have... many of them.

I'm a nose breather; I admit it. You probably are, too.

Blackwood's test is pretty much what I suggest to people. Try doing it with your regulator in, but add the following step: gently cover your nostrils with the pads of your fingertips (not pinch them shut) and inhale. You will probably notice that there is an ever-so-slight suction when you inhale. If so, congratulations, you're a nose breather.

What you're probably experiencing is an unconscious reaction to something being placed in your mouth. I was traumatized in my younger years with far too many orthodonture devices, so when something goes in my mouth--even if it doesn't block air flow--I tend to start huffing through my nose.

It's a good news/bad news sort of thing. The good news is that you're not likely to walk around with your mouth hanging open, lettting drool escape and flies enter. Also, you're not likely to get mask squeeze because you constantly equalize the mask. The bad news is that you'll tend to slightly breath in and out through your nose while diving, and if the mask comes off, you're more likely to get a snootful of H2O.

The remedy is practice, practice, practice. Even while out of the water, concentrate on breathing through your mouth. Fingertips on the nostrils, as suggested above, will help you gauge how well you're doing.

Everyday when you shower, practice.....put your face in the water, but only on your nose and eyes.....it worked great for my wife, she can go forever now without her mask.

I had the same problem as you in my OW class. I thought that I was going to drowned durring this skill. When my instuctor saw that I was having difficulties he resolution was to have me swim a few laps around the perimeter of the pool underwater without my mask on. Strangely enough I had no problem at all doing this. I found the problem being this. If I go under water without my mask on, I subconsciously close off my nasal passages and I can stay under water without any trouble regardless of the orientation, upside down on my back ect and never have a problem. If I am under water and try to take off my mask then I would "forget" to close off my nasal passage and wala.....water up the nose.

It jst takes practice.....Dont give up, you will get it.

Something that helped me was to take as full of a breath that I could before removing my mask. That would give me the chance to remember that I had to close off the nasal way on my exhale and prevent me from snorting any water when the cold water hit my face. Already had as much air as I could take in my lungs. Now it is not an issue. Practice, practice you will get it

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom