Snorkels and the long-ish hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok, I'll disagree about favoring the 7' hose over the 5' hose. It depends on the style of diving you are doing. Open water, non-overhead environment, a 5' hose works just fine. I'm 6'1, pretty slim 200lbs....and dive a 5' hose. If you have a large frame/big chested etc...than go with a 6 or 7 footer.

Also, diving a 5' hose is DIR, just like a 7' is...so tecnitrox is wrong.

You want proof....page 76/77 of Doing It Right: The Fundamentals of Better Diving
By: Jarrod Jablonski

For those who don't have the book, it shows a picture of Mr. Jablonski deploying a 5' hose and right above that it states in what situations you should go with a 5'/6' or 7' foot hose.

Ok anyways, back on track..... :)

I personally had this conflict when DM'ing, decided to go to the backplate/wing and long hose setup and was told that was not acceptable to teach open water students..PADI class. I completely understood and haven't officially DM'ed a class since. Kinda of sucks because I want to work with new students, but I am having a hard time because I dont want to go back to my original setup and I won't DM wearing equipment I dont normally wear.

Having a snorkel is a PADI standard, like someone else stated, buy the folding kind and stuff it away. :)

jepuskar:
I personally had this conflict when DM'ing, decided to go to the backplate/wing and long hose setup and was told that was not acceptable to teach open water students..PADI class.
Uh Oh. There's a local PADI shop that has instructors and DMs in BP/W and 7' hoses. The students use *gasp* DiveRite transplates, though they use the "traditional" regulator configuration. OW students are also taught in drysuits. I guess the shop owner figured out it's easier to get folks hooked on local diving if they are comfortable rather than cold :D

Snowbear:
Uh Oh. There's a local PADI shop that has instructors and DMs in BP/W and 7' hoses. The students use *gasp* DiveRite transplates, though they use the "traditional" regulator configuration. OW students are also taught in drysuits. I guess the shop owner figured out it's easier to get folks hooked on local diving if they are comfortable rather than cold :D

Stupid question: how can the dive staff demonstrate a skill if they aren't wearing the same equipment as the students?

Maybe the true goal is a slightly longer course taught in a proper rig?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom